Welcome to Open Discussion

2010-06-30
2013-05-28
  • Mario Salzer
    Mario Salzer
    2010-06-30

Welcome to Open Discussion

• One feature that I would have liked to have in streamtuner was the ability to create a consolidated tab that allowed you to browse/search all your stream directories in one place, grouped by genre or category I guess. I only use xiph and shoutcast, so I don't know if it's practical  with the other directories.  The listing could incorporate an icon to show which source it comes from.

Other features I'd find useful; 
    - filter the listing by one or more stream types (i.e. ogg and aac, mpeg only, etc.)
    - filter by audio quality (i.e. >= 128kbps, <quality 2, etc.)
    - dump the preselections tab or allow hiding it
    - a Jamendo browser would be a very nice to have.

• Mario Salzer
    Mario Salzer
    2010-07-05

There is a basic search function in 2.0.0 now. But I previously had a mockup, where the search function actually occupies a separate tab. I think it's not difficult to have the search function crawl through all stream lists and generate a compound view. (Adding a source directory icon however seems overkill.)
    Most likely this compound search will appear under the bookmarks tab. And it'll searc only through cached channels and genres. A live / server search will probably not be implemented (too difficult with the new SHOUTcast AJAX interface).

For Xiphorg it makes sense to filter by audio quality, so this will become a configuration option. It's too difficult to have it a view option, and visual grouping seems difficult with the current ST2 implementation. (So MP3- or OGG-filters would be application-wide settings again.)

Never heard of Jamendo. But anyway, now that the basics are working, old plugins can be resurrected, new ones written. - ST1 had basic.ch and punkcast, probably last.fm(?) - let's see…

• FYI, totem, rythmbox, vlc and a few others have a Jamendo browser so there's probably a well established api.  Jamendo has the option of streaming it's files in ogg or mp3 too.

• Mario Salzer
    Mario Salzer
    2010-07-06

Indeed it has: http://developer.jamendo.com/de/wiki/MusiclistApi_draft

Judging from the totem GUI, it might be more difficult to shoehorn it into the ST2 interface. This definitely needs server query, so a real search function needs to be there first.

• I downloaded the Windows version. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I had to right-click and run the installer as administrator, or I got an error message.

All the programming languages were installed but then the installer ended. Streamtuner2 wasn't installed.

• Mario Salzer
    Mario Salzer
    2010-07-13

True. It's only an installer bundle for Python and the Gtk+ libraries. That package doesn't contain streamtuner2, because I didn't want to rebuild a 35MB file for every release. It's just a separate and generic runtime download. And it's not even a real installer, just a ZIP self-extractor which invokes the other installers. I should reclarify this here; just moved that package from my homepage to conserve bandwidth.

• Mario Salzer
    Mario Salzer
    2010-08-01

@2: There is now a "COMPOUND" channel plugin. It's very basic, but allows "mixing" of channels. Per default it combines the list entries from Xiph.org, Shoutcast.com and Internet-Radio.org.uk - but this can be configured. It only lists the Top40 category per default. If you set the option to "x" it however lists all intersections, that is genres which exists in two or more channels. It doesn't show a source icon, but you can find the source channel via right click > edit, in extra.

It's not a default plugin. It's available as separate download from http://milki.erphesfurt.de/streamtuner2/ext/, and you have to copy it manually into /usr/share/streamtuner2/channels/.

• Hi,
    I'm using ST2 with my netbook and now the Ubuntu Netbook edition is installed on it. When I want to change one of the properties, there is a problem with the size of the window. Clicking on "player". Everything below the Headline "Web Browser" is truncated. So no way to click on a button (I expect there is one). The Window is not changeable.

• Mario Salzer
    Mario Salzer
    2010-09-18

Hey,
    Thanks for the report.
    But this also turns out difficult to fix. The whole settings dialog was based on a fixed layout.
    I have no clue how to turn it flexible. But I'll keep on trying..