Need help to delete inaccessible folder

cheli8
2009-03-13
2013-05-09
  • cheli8
    cheli8
    2009-03-13

hi everyone

I can't access the following folder created by Streamripper (v. 1.65.3 which I've now upgraded):  "The Very Best Of Art Bell.."  From what I've been able to figure out, the name of this folder is too large to be successfully created in Windows XP, which resulted in an inaccessible folder being created by Streamripper.

I would like to know how to delete this folder or more accurately, the listing of this non-existent folder.  It cannot be removed by any means I've tried because Windows can't get a hold of it.  It can't be moved, deleted, accessed (even within command windows) or deleted on restart via MoveOnBoot, Unlocker or erased with Eraser because even though it's visible in Windows, Windows cannot "read it".  I hope this is clear, if not ask.

Also, I want to make sure Streamripper doesn't do this again.  I'm now hesitant to rip from a station I haven't previously used.  Is the project aware of this problem?  Has it been corrected in the latest version?

But most of all, I would like to know how to get rid of this folder.  As of now I have renamed the folder containing the offending folder and put it in a corner of my computer.  Is this the best I can do?

Thanks in advance for help.

• Gregory Sharp
      Gregory Sharp
      2009-03-14

This is fixed in the current version, so be sure to upgrade.  The problem is the .. at the end (windows explorer doesn't like it).

The secret is to delete (or rename) using the 8.3 file name.  Navigate to the parent directory using the command prompt.  Then type in "dir /x" (it's something else on win9x, can't quite remember).  You see the 8.3 filenames which you can use.  For example:

C:\tmp\foo>dir /x
      Volume in drive C has no label.
      Volume Serial Number is FCBC-722B

Directory of C:\tmp\foo

03/14/2009  01:32 AM    <DIR>                       .
      03/14/2009  01:32 AM    <DIR>                       ..
      03/14/2009  01:32 AM    <DIR>          DELETE~1     Delete this directory
                     0 File(s)              0 bytes
                     3 Dir(s)   3,397,595,136 bytes free

C:\tmp\foo>rmdir /s delete~1
      delete~1, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

C:\tmp\foo>

• cheli8
        cheli8
        2009-03-17

Thank you for the prompt reply greg.  This worked perfectly.

• cheli8
      cheli8
      2009-03-17

greg and others, although I was able to remove the offending folders following your instructions, I ripped the same Art Bell stream again to make sure the problem was cleared up, but it, once again, created an inaccessible folder even with the latest Streamripper v. 1.64.5.  If you want to try this out the stream is http://67.51.67.35:8000.

Thanks in advance for help.

• Gregory Sharp
      Gregory Sharp
      2009-03-17

I could not connect to that URL.  Is there a home page?

• cheli8
      cheli8
      2009-03-19

Yes, it's http://www.u7radio.org/.  I find it in Winamp by searching Shoutcast radio for Coast to Coast.  It's usually broadcasting.

The stream right now is http://stream2.u7radio.org:8000/

• Gregory Sharp
      Gregory Sharp
      2009-03-21

Dang, I thought I had this fixed.  What a bummer.

Anyway, I confirmed the problem.  Thanks for the report.  This will be fixed in the next version.