International Characters

kirke
2008-05-12
2013-05-09
  • kirke
    kirke
    2008-05-12

    Greg,

    I've yet to see the latest version (1.63.1) deal with international characters.
    Hope this some sort of pilot error on my part.

    + /usr/local/bin/streamripper \         http://scfire-chi0l-1.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1048 -z -r 8888 -s -d \         /streams/RadioParadise

    Here's a sequence of songs that strearipper attempted to rip:

    6:03 pm - The Stone Roses - Breaking Into Heaven
    5:59 pm - Hem - Idle
    5:56 pm - Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things
    5:53 pm - José González - Stay in the Shade
    5:49 pm - The New Pornographers - Adventures In Solitude

    It did fine with all but one.  I expected to yield:

            José González - Stay in the Shade.mp3

    but this was created instead:

             - .mp3

    Here's the log before Rilo Kiley:
    [ripping...    ]  -  [  1.30M]^M[ripping...    ]  -  [  1.32M]^M

    I reported this bug (1462261) UTF-8 Support 2006-03-31 09:03.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1462261&group_id=6172&atid=106172

    A year ago now you asked that I test:

    Date: 2007-02-24 18:12

    Message:
    Logged In: YES
    user_id=294386
    Originator: NO

    Try 1.62-beta-1.  See forum for details.  Thanks for waiting  :)
    Greg

    But I believe it hasn't been addressed.  I've been running 1.62-beta-1
    for some time, but thought maybe this was a pilot error.  Perhaps you should
    verify my command isn't the culprit.

    Sorry,
    kirk

     
    • kirke
      kirke
      2008-05-20

      Greg - You suggested adding '--codeset-metadata'.  I tried:

      + /var/tmp/local/bin/streamripper
          http://scfire-chi0l-1.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1048
          -d /var/tmp/streams -r 8889 -s -z
          --codeset-filesys=UTF-8
          --codeset-metadata=UTF-8
          --codeset-relay=UTF-8

      to no avail.  Same failure early this morning:

      "nnor" is nowhere in the log.  This is the line after Kwaiden:
      [ripping...    ]  -  [     0b]^M[ripping...    ]  -  [    1kb]^

      Once again we have "no artist" and "no title".  like streamripper choked
      on the artist (Sinéad O'Connor), so it never attempted parsing the title
      (Downpressor Man).

      From the RP database:
          Artist: Sinéad O'Connor
          Title:  Downpressor Man
          Album:  Throw Down Your Arms

      Ok, so do we know the "codeset" that RadioParadise is using?

      I've been using RadioParadise because the international char show up in the "now playing list":

      http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?name=Playlist

      and this is my favorite channel that ultimately I want streamripper to work on.  Problem is - I don't know what "metadata codeset" RP is using.

      I saved the stream to a file, and gathered the header hoping you might help answer the question:

      http://scfire-chi0l-1.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1048
      Radio Paradise /var/tmp/1058.part

      ICY 200 OK
      icy-notice1: <BR>This stream requires
          <a href="http://www.winamp.com/">Winamp</a><BR>
      icy-notice2: Firehose Ultravox/SHOUTcast Relay Server/Linux v2.6.0<BR>
      icy-name: Radio Paradise - DJ-mixed modern & classic rock, world,
          electronica & more - info: radioparadise.com
      icy-genre: eclectic rock
      icy-url: http://www.radioparadise.com
      content-type: audio/mpeg
      icy-pub: 1
      icy-br: 128

      Radio Paradise is accessible from shoutcast.com.
      Search for Eclectic or Paradise...

      So it's a typical shoutcast/icecast stream I believe. I've been unable to find docs indicating the codeset used, and this assumption that it's UTF-8 is either wrong or the changes up to and including 1.63.1 do not address this problem.

      kirk

       
    • kirke
      kirke
      2008-05-20

      Sorry again - here's some additional data I neglected to provide in my previous post:

      2008-0520-0803 Sure enough - same failure:

      4:22 am - Conjure One - Endless Dream
      4:17 am - Sinéad O'Connor - Downpressor Man
      4:12 am - Ramasutra - Kwaidan

      -rw-r--r--  1 kirke wheel 4308679 2008-05-20 04:25 Conjure One - Endless Dream.mp3
      -rw-r--r--  1 kirke wheel 4622149 2008-05-20 04:20  - .mp3
      -rw-r--r--  1 kirke wheel 4331249 2008-05-20 04:15 Ramasutra - Kwaidan.mp3

      That was with the following command line:

      + /var/tmp/local/bin/streamripper
          http://scfire-chi0l-1.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1048
          -d /var/tmp/streams -r 8889 -s -z
          --codeset-filesys=UTF-8
          --codeset-metadata=UTF-8
          --codeset-relay=UTF-8

      "nnor" is nowhere in the log.  This is the line after Kwaiden:
      [ripping...    ]  -  [     0b]^M[ripping...    ]  -  [    1kb]^

      Once again we have "no artist" and "no title".  like streamripper choked
      on the artist (Sinéad O'Connor), so it never attempted parsing the title
      (Downpressor Man).

      From the RP database:
          Artist: Sinéad O'Connor
          Title:  Downpressor Man
          Album:  Throw Down Your Arms

      So I'm at a loss as a user to ascertain what might be the proper "codeset" for this stream.

      kirk