Does it work with files?

Tom
2009-12-14
2013-05-09
  • Tom
    Tom
    2009-12-14

I already have several files of streams downloaded using other methods  that I would like to split up into individual songs. Can streamripper do this? If not, can someone recommend another program that can? Thank you.

• Gregory Sharp
    Gregory Sharp
    2009-12-28

No, streamripper cannot.

I suppose the other program like mp3cut could do this?

• Tom
    Tom
    2009-12-29

I actually have some AAC streams I want to split, and I can't think of any other program that will do it.

Is this a feature you can add? It doesn't seem terribly difficult (basically the same thing as it does now, but without the networking functionality :) ).

Is there some way of making streamripper believe that the file is a stream (setting up a server as a relay, for example)?

Thank you for your reply.

• Gregory Sharp
    Gregory Sharp
    2009-12-29

To re-stream the data, you would normally use something like shoutcast server, or icecast.  Both of these programs send metadata based on ID3 tags inside the files (which I assume you don't know these).  So…where does the track information come from then?  If you are dedicated, you can type them in as the music plays (shoutcast allows this). 

You just want to cut them and label by hand?  Maybe it is easier if you use audacity or any other audio editing software.

• Tom
    Tom
    2009-12-31

I can see the metadata inside of the recorded stream (with less or strings or any of several other methods to view files).

No I don't want to do this by hand. I have many hours of streams, and at the very minimum want something that can split the files automatically. I could extract the metadata with a script and name the files manually if I had to, but since the metadata is already there, I would (obviously) prefer to have a program do this for me (which would save a LOT of time).

So there is no way to take this stream and (for example) set up an http server, and do something to make streamripper think the data is coming from a shoutcast or icecast server?

What about my other suggestion - adding a feature that allows the name of a file as an input instead of a URL? That doesn't seem that difficult (from the uninformed perspective of someone whose programming knowledge is limited to simple shell or perl scripts).

Thank you again.

• Gregory Sharp
    Gregory Sharp
    2009-12-31

You don't give much information.  How did you capture the stream?  Is the track information embedded as shoutcast metadata? 

Assuming yes, you need to find out what is the metadata interval.  Did you happen to save a copy of the HTTP header?