Position of Horizon on the screen / horizon elevation

Feedback
Anonymous
2013-05-03
2014-05-13

• Anonymous
    2013-05-03

I really like Stellarium a lot. However, I am wondering if the screen can be used more "efficiently". The screen is divided into landscape and sky. The relation of these two is always 50/50. The local horizion line is always at the center of the screen. Tilting your viewing angle up will not change this. It will rather curve the horizon line whereas a straight line is more appreaciated. I played around with the decor_alt_angle and the decor_angle_shift. This will enable you to move the horizon down. Nevertheless, the local azimuth-grid will reveal that the local horizon line is actually still in the center of the screen (being a straight line). Would it be possible to really change ones elevation above the horizon (local horizon will be lowered) to get a better relation of landscape/sky of about 30/70? This will pobably result in zooming into a point above the horizon rather than on the horizon.

Kindly see pictures uploaded here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88268736@N08/

The desired view is a fake picture which I created in Photoshop. I think you will now see what I mean. This desired view cannot be achieved by current projections. To my knowledge, there must be an offset out of the center of the sphere in order to create this image. Still, I hope that you can see that the desired view will use the screen more effiecently.

I think I am not the only one who wishes to have more sky and less landscape (tilting and "Perspective" projection being no solution). I hope this can be achieved with current or future versions of Stellarium! Other than that: TOP SOFTWARE! :-)

Thanks for your efforts

• Anonymous
    2013-05-04

Please note: the link to the picture site flickr has to be copied and pasted into the address field of your browser. The "@N08/" is part of the link and has to be copied as well.

• Kird
    Kird
    2013-05-04

Save your settings!

With every type of projection comes some distortion.

Set up the screen of Stellarium with every option in the 'Sky and viewing options window' you like. Stereographic projection with a FOV smaller than 90° gives a fairly flat horizon with acceptable distorion. Drag the horizon to the bottom of the screen with the mouse.

In the Configuration window click 'Save settings'. Now Stellarium will allways start with your preferred settings.

• Anonymous
      2013-05-04

Hello Kird,

thanks for your explanation. I understand what you are saying but it is not what I am looking for. To my understanding, the desired lowering of the horizon (as a straight line) could be achieved by lifting off the ground as if you were standing on a very high tower or viewing from an airplane. This way you would have a view as shown on the picture in flickr.

• Anonymous
    2013-05-09

I concur with this suggestion.

Are there any user issues to be born in mind with the output to screen?

• Anonymous
    2013-05-28

I like this idea!

• Anonymous
    2014-01-04

I also like the idea. It was one of the first things I looked in the configs to change. Seems a waste to have half the screen taken up by ground, when we want to look at the sky!

I like to set mine for View/Landscape/ UNCHECK - "Show Ground", and View/Marking/ CHECK - "horizon line". That way, I can see objects that just went below the horizon, or satellites that are about to come over the horizon.

-KenC

• Anonymous
    2014-03-28

The desired view should not be deemed as a different projection. Just think of it as a "cropping" of the field of view. Cut off some of the image at the bottom (landscape) and add some image data on top of it...

• Anonymous
    2014-03-29

Maybe following scenarios help understanding the desired view (see attached picture above):

Set the perspective to stereographic and put your horizon on the center of the screen being q straight line. Now imagine you are lifted several meters off the ground. Since the viewer is quite far away from the celestial sphere it will not affect the view of the stars really. The horizon panorama on the contrary will change significantly as the viewer is very close to it. The horizon panorama will apparently move down and parts of it leavning the user's field of view. No chqnge in projection here - still stereographic.

Another scenario: Put the projection again on stereographic and assume no movement of the camera (no tilting, shifting etc.). Now imagine you could enable a second screen above the original screen. More of the celestial dome would becomee visible as the image is not cut off at the top of the lower screen. The view would be continued in the other screen with all its projection properties and distortion applied. Now imagine that the landscape in the lower screen is now beeing "cropped". The whole (still) image can now be scrolled down with some of the additional image of the upper (second) screen beeing moved to the lower screen. The upper screen can now be turned off and the desired view in the lower screen is achieved.

Looking at the mock-up image in the original sourceforge discussion post I really think that this kind of view is something many users are looking for and I believe that it would be a great feature and for developers worth looking into it...

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2014-03-29

Just disable ground or use zoom and mouse for setting FOV, which you want.

Or, if you really want this strange settings - just make it.

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2014-03-29

There are now two threads going on the same subject. The reasons why this cannot be done without a fake horizon are stated in the other thread.

The perspective projection will allow you to offset the ground (horizon) to any point in the view and have it remain as a straight line but the resulting distortion will make the rest of the view unreal.

It may be nice to have the horizon a straight line at the lower part of the screen but that cannot be done with the stereographic screen that is painting the inside of a sphere as viewed from the centre of the sphere on a plane surface. The focus of the view will always be the centre of the screen and the rest of the sphere will follow the rule of depicting spherical surface on a plane screen.

Turn on the alti/azm grid and turn off the ground. then move the point of your focus around. This will show how the sphere is displayed.

Barry

• Anonymous
    2014-05-10

hello
    i make my first landscape for stellarium
    but i cant change the altitude of my horizontwith decor_alt_angle and the decor_angle_shift.i think i have an mistake in my ini file
    the panorama is in one piece
    please help me

Attachments

• Anonymous
    2014-05-10

i make my first landscape for stellarium with "panorama studio2 pro"
    but i can not correct the altitude of the horizont
    i test it with the decor_alt_angle and the decor_angle_shift.but it dont work
    how i can do this with the ini file

[landscape]
    name = villach
    author = Werner
    description =
    type = spherical
    maptex = villach.png
    alt_angle =
    angle_alt =
    angle_rotatez = 159,6

[location]
    planet = Earth
    latitude = +45d36'38"
    longitude = +13d51'12"
    altitude = 540

thank you for help

Attachments
  • barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2014-05-10

Spherical landscapes do not have the facility to alter the location if the landscape in the vertical direction. The only way to alter this position is by modifying the actual landscape texture. However this may also produce undesirable results if you don't make the horizon the centre of the screen.

Barry

• Anonymous
    2014-05-11

thank you Barry
    now i have modified my landscape and shift the pano down now is the horizont at the real
    0-degree but its verry difficult to do this.
    for fine adjustment i make a foto of sunset and compare it with stellarium .
    its possible to change my spherical landscape to "old style"?
    exists a software to do this?

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2014-05-11

A spherical panorama can be converted to a multi-panel type if you have a good high resolution version of the panorama. There is no software to do this, just your ability to work with a graphics program such as TheGimp or Photoshop. The basic procedure is described in the latest version of the User Manual.

Download a copy from here

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

and check out the section on making your own landscapes.

Barry

• Anonymous
    2014-05-13

Hello Barry
    i make my spherical panorama to an "old style" panorama with Gimp Guillotine
    now i can change horizont high and direction with ini file.
    what advantage i have i addition to the "spherical Type of Panorama?
    Can i change the time when at sunrising and sunset the sky get orange too
    thank you for help
    werner

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments