Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

How to Enter Parameters for Comets

Feedback
Anonymous
2013-02-05
2013-02-05

• Anonymous
    2013-02-05

There are a few bright comets approaching this year. I would like to enter them as accurately as possible into Stellarium, but I am not sure what to do with the sidereal_period and radius when they are unknown.

For example, JPL (http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=ison;orb=0;cov=0;log=0;cad=0#phys_par) shows lots of information for Comet ISON C/2012 S1, but it doesn't have the radius or the sidereal_period.

So what should be entered for the radius and sidereal_period when it is unknown?

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2013-02-05

Many comets have more or less the same radius and we can use it value as mean radius for comets. Sidereal period can be easy calculated for bodies with elliptical orbits.

P.S. Where you found sidereal period for C/2012 S1?

• Anonymous
    2013-02-05

<< Where you found sidereal period for C/2012 S1? >>

I haven't found any. That is why I am asking. So what should be entered when you don't know what it is? Or should that parameter be skipped and not entered?

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2013-02-05

Hyperbolic (like C/2012 S1) and parabolic comets don't have sidereal period. ;)

• Anonymous
    2013-02-05

Thanks.

So should I remove the sidereal_period parameter for C/2012 S1?

• Anonymous
    2013-02-05

Thanks.

<< Many comets have more or less the same radius and we can use it value as mean radius for comets. >>

What is that value?

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2013-02-05

Most cometary nuclei are no more than about 10 miles (16 kilometers) across.

We set minimal radius in 1 kilometer for bodies with unknown size (for guarantee and simplification calculations).

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments