cvs client

Feedback
2006-04-19
2012-10-09
  • barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2006-04-19

Hi

I might be dumb or something but I tried to download the cvs source on my backup computer (almost identical to this one) It has Ubuntu Linux installed exactly the same as this one (from the same disc). This computer has cvs client installed but I don't know where it came from. So when I accessed the cvs there was no problem.

When I tried to access the cvs from the back up computer I eventually found that cvs client was not installed.

I checked the cvs notes on the wiki but it doesn't tell me how to get it. I did a search but this was no help either.

The backup computer is only connected to the Internet with a 64/32 speed so seaching is a painful process.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Barry

• barrykgerdes
      barrykgerdes
      2006-04-19

Hi Matthew
      I knew there ought to be something like that and tried the synapic manager but could not find anything like that so I gave up.

I eventually had some success and down loaded the source from ftp.gnu.org and compiled it. Voila! it worked and I am now down loading the source from the Cvs (a 1 hr job) nearly finished at this stage.

I have had a lot of funnies with the back up program that didn't occur in my original installation. That's what confused me.

Thanks all for the help.

Barry

• Generally speaking it's better to use Ubuntu's own package management wherever possible since you can't easily delete program you install from source.

The only time you should compile and install from source is when there is no package for a program you want to use or the version which is packaged is too old (e.g. with the current "stable" release of Ubuntu, the Stellarium package is version 0.6 or something).

In short, use apt-get or synaptic whenever possible, and your future life will be a lot easier.

Matthew

• Matthew Gates
      Matthew Gates
      2006-04-19

Login as your primary user (the one you created during the installation process). Then do one of the following:

1. Open synaptic package manager. Click the search icon on the toolbar. Enter cvs. In the Package pane on the right side find the cvs entry. Mark for installation by clicking on the box at the left of the line in the packages pane. Click apply button. OR:

2. Open a terminal window and type in:

sudo apt-get install cvs

Type in your password when/if your are prompted for it. Voila.

Matthew

• Johan Meuris
      Johan Meuris
      2006-04-19

Be aware that anonymous cvs access is currently disabled by Sourceforge, in case you wonder why it doesn't work.
      Check the status page for updates about this issue.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments