Do maptex_top and maptex_bottom work for spherical landscapes?

Feedback
Anonymous
2014-02-16
2014-02-16

• Anonymous
    2014-02-16

I'm trying to create a new landscape. I stitched together a set of images with AutoStitch, producing a .png panaroma that is 5590x1024, with sky removed at the top and a little blank space removed at the bottom. The images were shot using about 27mm focal length, if that makes any difference. The landscape does display in Stellarium, but my maptex_top and maptex_bottom seem to be ignored -- which means 90 and -90, respectively. They should be about 10 and -80, so what I'm seeing is a distorted landscape with a very small hole at the top where stars are visible.

I believe the parameter file is being read correctly. I also have an angle_rotatez parameter set after the ignored parameters, and it is processed correctly.

Can anyone guess what I'm doing wrong? Thanks,

Derry

(WONDERFUL program, by the way.)

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2014-02-16

I am not sure what you have there but a spherical landscape needs to have a width to height ratio of 2:1. Also you say you have removed the sky. That should be where the background will be transparent (alpha layer). What program have you used to process the panorama after assembly. The best and easiest to use is TheGmp. Changing maptex_? should not be necessary.

Barry

• Derry
    Derry
    2014-02-16

I definitely don't have 2:1 at the moment. I'm not sure how to get there, since the assembly (in either AutoStitch or Photoshop) produces an image that is longer and lower than 2:1. Do I need to add pixels to the image to make it 2:1? I removed the sky by cutting the pixels in Photoshop, leaving it transparent.

It seemed like I needed to set maptex_top and _bottom to deal with the fact that the top of the image isn't straight up, and the bottom not straight down. But maybe what you are saying is that I need to add pixels so that the vertical extent of the image IS really 180 degrees. I can try that.

Thanks for the help.

Derry

• Derry
    Derry
    2014-02-16

That did the trick! I resized the image to 2048 high and the canvas to 4096x2048, then positioned the original image vertically so the horizon is in the right place, and it looks great. Thanks.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments