Azimuthal/altitude coordinates added

Feedback
2004-10-07
2012-10-09
  • Hello all,

I've added in, as some have requested, a feature to display the azimuthal/altitude horizon coordinates. It should be noted that the feature is not very precise; as it is based off of GMST time, it does not take precession into account, nor I have put in nutation. Here's a screenshot:

http://www.stanford.edu/~e2wu/stellarium.JPG

I've been able to make my modifications to the 0.6.0 code in cygwin, but I haven't been able to duplicate my results on the CVS checked out version (the program closes immediately). If someone can help me out with why the CVS code doesn't seem to be running, I'll submit a patch ASAP.

• Ed Wu
      Ed Wu
      2004-10-07

Oh, here's my new account, if you want to get a hold of me.

• Rob Spearman
        Rob Spearman
        2004-10-07

I'm unclear about where you are having problems.

Are you able to check out the CVS code, build, and run it without your modifications?

• Ed Wu
      Ed Wu
      2004-10-07

No, when I check out the CVS code and build it in cygwin, just like the 0.6.0 source code, the CVS code compiles, but fails to start (the program runs, puts up what looks like a shell screen instantaneously, then quits). The 0.6.0 source code compiles just fine. I think it might be an autoconf problem of some kind, because that's the major difference, but I don't know if anything in CVS is post 0.6.0 that would do it too.

• Rob Spearman
        Rob Spearman
        2004-10-07

What text output do you get running stellarium?

Are you able to run something like "strace stellarium" to see where it dies?

• What are the outputs on the console?
          Do you also have a stderr.txt or stdout.txt?

Fab

• Ed Wu
            Ed Wu
            2004-10-07

Unfort. my main comp. is disassembled right now (apartment being painted). I will take a look at this when I reassemble later tonight, but to my recollection, running in cygwin didn't output messages to the cygwin console - it flashed what appeared to be a Windows DOS/console window for an instant, then disappears.

I'll poke around more later tonight and let you know.

• Ed Wu
            Ed Wu
            2004-10-08

The good ol' "delete everything and start over" technique worked fine. I've redone the patch for the new CVS 0.6.1 version, and I have uploaded the patch to the appropriate place. Let me know what you think.

• Addition of Azimuth/elevation coordinates in the next release of Stellarium would make it an even more useful piece of software.

• Where do I get the 'patch' to provide azimuth and elevation coordinates? how do I then add it in to my 0.6.1 version of Stellarium? (N.B. I'm a new Mac owner and have just started using Stellarium. Need to get read-out of elevation at time of observations to determine air mass and hence correct photometric measurements for effects of atmospheric extinction.)

• Please consider including Azimuth and elevation readout in next release of Stellarium.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments