Educational Script

• Anonymous

Help in creating script: I want to create a simple script to use with 10 year olds. It should show the following:
    1. sky at 5 min intervals to show that stars change position (preferably no planets)
    2. sky at 1 sidereal day intervals to show that planets change their position wrt constellations.
    3. stars without constellation lines; after a pause, constellation lines; after further pause, constellation names; after a further pause, constellation figure. Repeat with two or three folklores (Western, Chinese, American Indian). This is aimed at showing how much imagination is needed to see the figures and how different peoples have seen different shapes and figures!
    I am new to stellarium scripting but have been programming for more than 35 years, so scripting should not be a problem. However, I do not want to do it if scripts are already available. Can someone help?

• qam1

for #1 Try

while (1 == 1)
    core.setDate("+5 minutes");

For #2
    Change to core.setDate("+1436 minutes");

or try my
    Dawn/dusk/sunrise/sunset jumps scripts for something similar
    you can get them here

For #3 I think there is a script that comes with Stellarium that does something similar

Also try, buried deep in the stellarium website is the guide

for basic script functions. Though it's written in extreme technobabble

• For #1 take a look at which does a time lapse looking north to see how the stars appear to rotate around Polaris

in my example from here:
    (may need tweeking for later Stellarium versions)

Cancel   Add attachments