Windows 7

Feedback
2009-01-24
2012-10-09
  • Paul Greeve
    Paul Greeve
    2009-01-24

Has anyone found that Stellarium runs excruciatingly slow under Windows 7? (On my Netbook about 0.01 frames a second).

I have used Stellarium on this Netbook with Windows XP and Vista and had acceptable frame rates, so I know it can work OK.

I did a Google search and found at least one other user who has reported very slow frame rates under Win 7. He was seeing 2 frames a second, but he had a full desktop.

I have seen this with 0.10.0 portable edition and it is the same with 0.10.0 beta I just downloaded.

Thought I better report this si the developers could have a look long before Win 7 becomes main stream.

This is the only program I have had this type of problem with, but I don't try and run 3D games on the Netbook so I am not sure if this is a general problem or just a conflict with Stellarium.

• Paul Greeve
      Paul Greeve
      2009-01-26

Update 2:

I have just installed 0.10.0 and found the frame rate to be around 12FPS when CPU is running at 1800 MHz. (Slightly overclocked using EeeCtr).

• Matthew Gates
        Matthew Gates
        2009-01-26

12 FPS with 1800 CPU sounds like it is getting GPU acceleration. Without acceleration, my 1700 MHz CPU manages about 0.02 FPS, but then I do have a high screen res (1680x1050)

• Matthew Gates
      Matthew Gates
      2009-01-24

Sounds like the video driver does not support accelerated OpenGL. This was the same with early Vista drivers. You could check it by seeing if Google Earth suffers also from very low frame rates. If this is the case, you can be fairly sure it is GL acceleration. You should complain to your video card manufacturer, asking them to support OpenGL acceleration in the driver.

Matthew

• Abrachus
      Abrachus
      2009-01-25

I'm very curious: which netbook are you using and what are the frame rates you got for XP?

Regards.

• Paul Greeve
      Paul Greeve
      2009-01-26

Looks like the Driver (Which are very new, just been updated on Microsoft's Update Site) and OpenGL support. Google Earth was running great, but then I realized it was also running in Direct X mode. Switching to OpenGL caused an alert telling me I was running in OpenGL emulation mode, and then Google Earth crawled like Stellarium.

I will try using the Vista drivers again. Not sure if I had used Stellarium when I had those installed. Thanks for the Tip. I will post a follow up on the results later.

I am using a Asus Eee PC 1000H with 2 GB RAM. Fram rates where about 20 or more but that was from memory and I could be wrong. Stellarium was very usable for me anyway.

• Paul Greeve
      Paul Greeve
      2009-01-26

Update:

I reverted to the latest Vista drivers (Video: Intel 945 Express) and found that I could run Stellarium again at a usable but slow frame rate; around 7 frames a second when the CPU is running at max speed.

So the pre-release drivers that comes with Win 7 for my video has no OpenGL support, it would appear. Goggle Earth also runs much faster, but nothing like Direct X.

To install the Vista drivers I had to set the Compatibility to tell the drivers they were running on a Vista system. (Right Click the Installer EXE | Select Properties | Click on the Compatibility Tab. Set the version in under the "Run As" dialog to Vista).

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-06-05

Hey Turbulance, your not alone i have the same problem with Win 7 64bit and
    Win 8 Evaluation i get any where .8 FPS to 1.5 FPS.
    i have tried to install different versions and nothing works i thought it was
    a windows 7 issue but i have a friend that installed it on two different
    computers and it works fine i have no idea what the problem is but i hope a
    fix will occure soon

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments