Archaeoastronomy and Precession

Feedback
Anonymous
2014-06-28
2014-06-28

• Anonymous
    2014-06-28

Hello,
    I am using Stellarium to perform an analysis of the Azimuth of a number of ancient sites relative to the rising and setting of the Sun and of certain constellations at the Solstices and Equinoxes.

I understand that Stellarium uses the Julian Calendar for dates before 1582, which causes a "drift" in the date of the Equinox. Because of this, the date of the spring Equinox (for instance) would drift away from March 21st. This makes it extremely difficult to use the date/time window to observe the Equinox for years before 1582, unless one knows in which day in the Julian calendar the Equinox would have fallen in each year.

I was wondering if there is any way to overcome this issue, or that allows to easily identify the correct date for the Equinox in any given year.

Many thanks!

Is there any way

• Anonymous
    2014-06-28

Thanks Kird for your kind reply.
    Because I am mostly researching ancient sites, I am looking to even earlier solstice and equinox dates, perhaps as far back as 7,500 BC.
    In particular I would be interested to see if, knowing the azimuth, it is possible to determine in which year the solsticial sunrise or sunset would have matched that azimuth: for instance, given an azimuth of 247.5 at a given latitude, I would like to be able to tell in which year (as a consequence of precession) the sunset azimuth at the winter solstice would have had such value?

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments