need help with position window

Feedback
Anonymous
2014-01-12
2014-01-27

• Anonymous
    2014-01-12

Hi guys. I am not understanding how the "position window" works. I go to the search option, click on position... I type in the RA value, then when I click on the Dec window, the display moves and when I type in the Dec value, I seem to be totally in the wrong place. Also if I hit the return key, nothing happens. I click on the "x" at the top right of the window... this clears the window but I am still totally in some other place than where I should be. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong??? I am using version 0.11.1

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2014-01-12

I don't quite follow what you mean by position window.

When Stellarium starts in windowed mode you can position where the window appears on the screen by changing the values of screen_x and screen_y in the config.ini file. The dimensions are in pixels measured from the top left side of the screen.

If you are referring to the RA and Dec of the centre of the stellarium screen. This is governed by the entry for init_view_pos also in the config.ini screen This position can be set from the search screen under the position tab. Just enter the proposed RA and Dec of the wanted screen centre. The screen centre will then move to that position. However if you wish to start at that position next time don't forget to save the new position from the save settings from the main tab in the configure screen.

By the way version 11.1 is obsolete now. The latest stable version is 0.12.4

Barry

• Anonymous
    2014-01-26

I am sorry Barry but I have version 0.12.4 and I am having the exact same problem. I go to search option on the side bar menu. The window comes up with an option for position. This gives me a window to type in the RA and DEC. I type in the RA... the screen moves to the RA position and regardless of teh DEC I type in... it will not go to the DEC value I typed. If I type in an object name or star common name... teh screen wil go to the correct position. SOMETHING is screwed up in the RA and DEC option window. It was that way in the earlier version and is still that way in the current version.

• Anonymous
    2014-01-27

It works OK for me. I turn on the equatorial grid and turned off the ground so I can easily see what is happening. I used the scroll bar on either the RA or Dec and the centre of the screen moves to that position.

If you typed new numbers in did you remember to hit ENTER after the change.
    The RA will change as soon as you move to the Dec window but the Dec will not change til you hit ENTER. If you use the scroll bars the position follows the scrolling.

Barry

• Anonymous
      2014-01-27

oh man! Now I feel like a total dummy. All this time I have been frustrated with that process and it is such a simple and OBVIOUS step that I have been missing. Thank you for making that clear for me Barry. And thank you for your patience in answering all these dumb questions :)

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments