What happened to the moon texture?

Feedback
Keatah
2012-10-01
2012-10-21
  • Keatah
    Keatah
    2012-10-01

What happened to the moon texture? The old one from 0.11.2 seemed to look so
    much better!

• Anonymous
      2012-10-21

The older moon texture is still present in the current 11.4 version of Stellarium. It is called Lune.png and is located in the textures folder with all the other ones. The newer, high-resolution moon texture is called 'moon.png' and this is the one that the config file is using.
      Simply rename 'Lune.png' into 'Moon.png' and change the name of the hi-res moon texture into whatever, and the config file will read the older moon texture.

• Keatah
    Keatah
    2012-10-01

Alright I went back to older textures and it looks so much better; despite
    less detail. I reverted MARS, VENUS, MERCURY, and MOON. It would seem that the
    higher resolution textures don't scale down to lower resolutions &
    magnifications very well or when the object is not fully magnified. Too many
    dots in the image seemingly randomly placed. Especially when only partly
    magnified.

Furthermore, for some odd reason the newer moon texture was just plain hard to
    look at. Even in a graphic editor like GIMP it was just grating.

Also, what's with (rhetorical, but still a valid question) Venus having a
    visible surface? I know of no optical telescope that can see through those
    clouds, let alone any Earth bound 'scope. I much prefer the undefined
    atmosphere/optical wavelength texture as opposed to a radar map.

I believe these new textures are wholly unrealistic in the amount of excessive
    detail and have no place in Stellarium as it now stands. Of course you could
    put in a "strip the atmosphere away" or "see radar mapping" or "high detail"
    option and allow toggling between them. But realistically the older textures
    are more appropriate.

Another thing, Stellarium is supposed to be a realistic sky simulator, and
    these high detail textures are just out of place. However, perhaps they look
    balanced and "right" when Stellarium is being used in the planetarium with a
    large projection dome.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments