Telescope Connected - But no Label

Feedback
Anonymous
2013-11-09
2013-11-23

• Anonymous
    2013-11-09

Hi Guys,

Very new to this, so apologies if i missed obvious things.

I recently bought an old Tasco Starguide St60700CT. It didn't come with any software or cables. But I read in the manual that it can be connected and control by a PC. So i undertook to make this happen. I purchased a Celestron NexStar Cable & USB to serial adapter (which I read is compatible with the Tasco). From there, I installed the converted as directed in the instruction which came with it to Com3 (chip version PL-2303 HXD)

I started up Stellarium 0.12.2 and went to the plugin and added my Tasco. The are the configure instructions I input.

Coordinate system: J2000Default
    Serial port: COM3
    Device Model: Celestron NexStar compatible

I can click start, and the status is connected no problem. But there is no telescope label and I cannot slew to any stars. I can add the simulated telescope and the label appears instantly and slews also.

I am at a loss as to what to do, anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-11-09

Hi
    These "goto" telescopes should connect to stellarium and produce an indication on the display. However the telescope must be working and aligned first.

It appears that the program is seeing a termination on the cable but it is not getting a reply when the command to read the position is sent. This will be the case if the telescope is not aligned (and actually tracking)

Barry

• Anonymous
    2013-11-09

Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have used the auto align on the handheld starguide (albeit, indoors as a test), but the handheld is confirming that alignment is complete.

I have done this, then opened stellarium then connected the scope and still no label. I have also tried this while stellarium was opened, then connected it, and again, still no telescope label.

Is there something else I have to do, ie align it via stellarium instead of the handheld itself?

Thanks

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-11-10

The auto align should be enough. It is for me with a similar Meade scope. Other things to confirm is that it is in fact on Com 3 and the USB adapter is compatible, Some aren't. However if it is 2nd hand there may be something wrong in the internal connections to the handset. I once had a new Meade 497 controller that would not connect to a computer running Stellarium although everything else worked. It was replaced under warranty.

Barry

Last edit: barrykgerdes 2013-11-10

• Anonymous
    2013-11-18

I have the same issue, if I use cartes du ciel or starrynight everything works fine on the same com port as stellarium thinks I am using.

• Anonymous
      2013-11-20

Oh, interesting. I cant seem to get mine to connect to any software.

Can you give instructions on how you get it to work on Cartes please? I have no luck with that either.

Thanks

• Anonymous
    2013-11-21

I am using an Atlas EQ-G mount, and use EQMOD. I just open Cartes then connect to scope ( it launches EQ mod) and no issues.

EQMOD has a test function you can use to check the comport used that helped out.

Not sure what Mount you are using though.

• Anonymous
      2013-11-23

I see. When you said you had the same problem, I thought you had a Tasco Starguide ST60700CT too. I was hoping you had a trick to connecting it on Cartes. Ah well, no such luck. Thanks Anyway.

• Anonymous
      2013-11-23

Oh ok, sorry I thought when you said you had the same problem you had a Tasco Starguide ST60700CT too. Thanks anyway.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments