Object info formatting

Feedback
Anonymous
2014-08-26
2014-09-23

• Anonymous
    2014-08-26

Is it possible to edit the way object information is displayed? Right now it's one big clump of characters - while it admittedly occupies the least space and thusly obscures the least of the graphic output, it can be a bit hard to read, especially when comparing multiple objects' info.

Specifically, I would like to be able to change the order of the pieces of data, insert newlines to create "groups", insert spaces and/or tabs to line things up for better readability, and possibly tweak some unit names (for instance, instead of "Light Years" I'd just prefer "ly").

Is any of these possible, and/or considered for inclusion in the future?

• Alexander Wolf
    Alexander Wolf
    2014-08-26

Is it possible to edit the way object information is displayed? Right now it's one big clump of characters - while it admittedly occupies the least space and thusly obscures the least of the graphic output, it can be a bit hard to read, especially when comparing multiple objects' info.

Are you kidding? What about press F2 and open "Info" tab?

Specifically, I would like to be able to change the order of the pieces of data, insert newlines to create "groups", insert spaces and/or tabs to line things up for better readability, and possibly tweak some unit names (for instance, instead of "Light Years" I'd just prefer "ly").

A sketch?..

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2014-08-26

• Anonymous
        2014-08-26

Are you kidding? What about press F2 and open "Info" tab?

I know of what you can do with the config you mention, and it's only cherrypicking certain pieces of information (BTW, galactic coordinates still misses its own entry in that dialog and appears/dissapears fairly randomly when selecting/unselecting other things). It does not allow to do any I've been talking about, such as adjusting the vertical order in which the selected entries are displayed.

A sketch?..

"Grouping" entries by inserting a newline would be mainly useful for visually separating information about inherent characteristics of an object and its various coordinates, but that's just my idea. Think of a newline as a "separator" of sorts.

Inserting spaces/tabs between an entry caption and its value would make it possible to line up the output in a more neat and orderly way, such as in a table.

• Alexander Wolf
          Alexander Wolf
          2014-08-26

BTW, galactic coordinates still misses its own entry in that dialog and appears/dissapears fairly randomly when selecting/unselecting other things

Are you using 0.12.x series still? This issue was fixed in the version 0.13.0.

• VReijs
      VReijs
      2014-08-26

Hello Alexander,

On 26 August 2014 10:51, Alexander Wolf alexvwolf@users.sf.net wrote:

Is it possible to edit the way object information is displayed? Right now
      it's one big clump of characters - while it admittedly occupies the least
      space and thusly obscures the least of the graphic output, it can be a bit
      hard to read, especially when comparing multiple objects' info.

I have to agree that the text is somethimes difficult to read (the
      text/background contrast is very very low, certainly when sun is up),
      perhaps have the text on a little grayed background. Or different color
      scheme dependign on background... But greying our the background is easier
      I think.

All the best,

Victor

Attachments

• Anonymous
        2014-08-26

That's another good point. Maybe switching the info text color between white and black based on the current difference in luminance between the text and the sky rendered in the background would be a solution. Or, similarly to what you suggested, permanently displaying the info on half-translucent, grey background (such as a configuration window when it's out of focus).

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments