Milky Way

Feedback
2013-04-28
2013-05-21
  • Brian Knight
    Brian Knight
    2013-04-28

Hi Guys/Gals,
    Can anyone tell me if its possible to see the Milky Way in Stellarium?
    Thanks
    Brian

• Bogdan Marinov
    Bogdan Marinov
    2013-04-30

Hello.

Moderator note: You had posted this in the Translators forum, I've moved it to the Feedback forum.

Yes, it's possible to see the Milky Way. Most easily, if you turn off the atmosphere. You can also set its brightness in the Sky/Viewing options window.

• bugbear
      bugbear
      2013-05-01

Bogdan Marinov wrote:

Hello.

Moderator note: You had posted this in the /Translators/ forum, I've moved it to the Feedback forum.

Yes, it's possible to see the Milky Way. Most easily, if you turn off the atmosphere.

By climbing the Andes, for example :-)

BugBear

• Anonymous
    2013-05-20

I do want to see the Milky Way because I want to photograph it, so I also want it to stand out more. When I loaded the program this morning, I was able to increase the brightness of the Milky Way - once. Then the option disappeared, or I just couldn't find it again. I loaded it onto another computer and didn't get even one chance to change it. Bogdan's response above indicates that there is a way to do it, but I still can't find it. When I open the Sky & Viewing options window (F4), there is no Milky Way option. Is it somewhere else? Thanks for any help I can get.

John K.

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2013-05-21

What about your version of Stellarium?

• Anonymous
        2013-05-21

I'm doing this on two different computers so please bear with me. The first is at home and I think I was on version 0.12.1 (32-bit) but am not sure because I have removed the program. Every time I opened the program my display went haywire. It was like I had duplicate displays side-by-side on a single screen and both were very pixelated. I had to turn the machine off and reboot. I tried re-installing a couple times and even ran the 32-bit patch to no avail. As I said, I've uninstalled the program for now but will keep trying because I really like the program and don't want to give up just yet.

The second computer is at the office and I re-installed 0.12.1 this morning. (I think I installed 0.11.2 yesterday. I uninstalled it last night before I left the office.) Lo and behold, I now can adjust the Milky way brightness. Yipee!!! It is wonderful. I have no problems with the screen going haywire on this one. (Knock on wood) I won't install the patch just in case that caused the problems on the other machine. It is working fine just as it is.

Any thoughts on the display problem would be appreciated because I really want it to work at home. I will not have access to the office computer at some point in the near future.

Thanks.
        John K.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments