Stellarium 0.12.1 won't work on Win XP

Feedback
Anonymous
2013-07-21
2014-08-19

• Anonymous
    2013-07-21

Hello everybody,

I try to run this fantastic software on my computer, and it doesn't want to start in normal mode. The start page is not correctly displayed, I cannot see correctly the information in the bottom of the page and the software looks frozen. I just see squares instead of numbers. And after somme seconds, the computer is crashed.

However, I can start the software in "mode de repli" (in French), "reply mode" in English ? In "mode de repli", the software runs well, but I think I don't have all possibilities. In this mode all texts are displayed correctly. Like suggested in an other topic, I also tested Celestia to be sure about OpenGL capabilities of my graphic board, it works well.

Operating system: Win XP Pro 32 bits French (Sorry, I hate Win 7).
    Graphic board: Intel G41, integrated in an ASUS motherboard.
    RAM memory: 2 GB.
    Processor: Intel dual-core 3 GHz.

Is the last version of Stellarium compatible with Win XP 32 bits ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help. Thanks also to people who have worked hard for this dream-software, and sorry for my English.

JPP.

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2013-07-21

Can you check version of drivers on intel.com?

• Anonymous
        2013-07-21

I did it. The version was 6.14.10.5355, and I have updated the driver to the last version 6.14.10.5420 on intel.com.

The result is better, because now I can read date and time correctly and the software does not crash anymore. I can click on the buttons, thing that was not possible before.

But indications given by texts on the left-top and in the bottom of the screen are still not correct. For example, when I select Saturne, I read " atu ne", 2 letters are missing. I read everything correctly in "mode de repli".

Maybe a language table is not correctly or not at all installed on my computer. Before having updated the driver of the graphic board, I saw squares instead of characters. Now I have nothing.

Thanks for your help.

• Alexander Wolf
          Alexander Wolf
          2013-07-21

Your graphics card don't support OpenGL 2+ which needed for "default" Stellarium. Stellarium's "Fallback mode" disable OpenGL 2 features, e.g. solar shadows.

• Anonymous
            2013-07-21

Ok, but I'm a little bit disapointed, because my motherboard is only 2 years old.

Thank you for your help.

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-07-21

I had some trouble with the display of Stellarium on a G41 platform some time ago but the latest drivers fixed the problem.

Barry

• Anonymous
    2013-07-22

I'm afraid that Intel does not update drivers anymore for old operating systems like Win XP. I have installed the last driver for Win XP, but that has not fixed the problem.

I have tried to install Stellarium in my old computer, equipped with an old ATI Rage graphic board. It works, but it is too slow, the computer is too old (at least 8 years).

I'm a little bit angry against Intel. I cannot believe that an old ATI Rage works better than a new Intel board. Which operating system you use Barry ?

Thanks,

Jean-Pierre.

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-07-22

The G41 board has DOS 7.0, XP, Win 7 an win 8.1 (trial) in a multi-boot configuration. I built my version of Stellarium on each platform (not DOS).

Barry

• Anonymous
    2013-07-23

For information, I tested my G41 board with OpenGL Extensions Viewer. And the board fully supports OpenGL from version 1.1 to 2.1 included. All tests were passed successfully with resolution 1920x1200 (60Hz).

I also tried to update my Windows platform until the last update, without success. I really don't understand why Stellarium doesn't want to run on my computer. I'm desperate !!!

Maybe I have to downgrade my version of Stellarium to 0.12.0 or to 0.11.4. Don't you think so ?

Also I saw my graphic board just has 256 MB of memory. Is-it enough ?

Thank you,

JPP.

• Anonymous
    2013-07-24

In fact, only texts located on the top-left and in the bottom of the screen are not correctly displayed, I juste see strange things instead of characters. But I can see all names of planets correctly. I can travel in space by zooming correctly, and it is just... too beautifull.

Here's the last log file from today:

2013-07-24T18:50:51
    Windows XP
    Compiled using MinGW GCC 4.6.2
    Qt runtime version: 4.8.4
    Qt compilation version: 4.8.4
    Addressing mode: 32-bit
    Total memory: 2013 MB (unreliable)
    Total virtual memory: 2047 MB (unreliable)
    Physical memory in use: 25%
    Processor speed: 3000 MHz
    Processor name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz
    Processor speed: 3000 MHz
    Processor name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz
    C:\Program Files\Stellarium\stellarium.exe

[ This is Stellarium 0.12.1 - http://www.stellarium.org ]
    [ Copyright (C) 2000-2013 Fabien Chereau et al ]

Writing log file to: "C:/Documents and Settings/JPP/Application Data/Stellarium/log.txt"
    File search paths:
    0 . "C:\Documents and Settings\JPP\Application Data\Stellarium"
    1 . "."
    Config file is: "C:\Documents and Settings\JPP\Application Data\Stellarium/config.ini"
    Going to initialize the OpenGL 2 renderer
    OpenGL supported version: "2.1.0 - Build 6.14.10.5420"
    Qt GL paint engine is: "OpenGL2"
    GL vendor is "Intel"
    GL renderer is "Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset"
    QGLShader::link: "No errors."
    Log of the compilation of builtin shader " plainShader " : "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Log of the compilation of builtin shader " colorShader " : "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Log of the compilation of builtin shader " textureShader " : "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Log of the compilation of builtin shader " colorTextureShader " : "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Cache directory is: "C:\Documents and Settings\JPP\Local Settings\Application Data\stellarium\stellarium\cache"
    Sky language is "fr_FR"
    Application language is "fr_FR"
    Loading Solar System data ...
    Loaded 75 / 75 planet orbits from "C:\Documents and Settings\JPP\Application Data\Stellarium/data/ssystem.ini"
    Loading star data ...
    "Loading "./stars/default/stars_0_0v0_2.cat": 0_0v0_2; 4963"
    "Loading "./stars/default/stars_1_0v0_2.cat": 1_0v0_2; 21598"
    "Loading "./stars/default/stars_2_0v0_2.cat": 2_0v0_2; 150090"
    "Loading "./stars/default/stars_3_1v0_1.cat": 3_1v0_1; 423540"
    Finished loading star catalogue data, max_geodesic_level: 3
    navigation/preset_sky_time is a double - treating as jday: 2.45151e+06
    Loaded 10051 NGC records
    Loading NGC name data ...
    Loaded 400 / 400 NGC name records successfully
    Loading star names from "./skycultures/western/star_names.fab"
    Loaded 230 / 230 common star names
    Loading star names from "./stars/default/name.fab"
    Loaded 3215 / 4359 scientific star names
    Loaded 88 / 88 constellation records successfully for culture "western"
    Loaded 85 / 85 constellation art records successfully for culture "western"
    Loaded 89 / 89 constellation names
    Loading constellation boundary data ...
    Loaded 782 constellation boundary segments
    Not using any viewport effect
    Creating GUI ...
    Loading shortcuts...
    Can't find plugin with id "RendererStatistics"
    Can't find plugin with id "RendererStatistics"
    Loaded plugin "Oculars" .
    Ocular plugin - press Command-O to toggle eyepiece view mode. Press ALT-o for configuration.
    Oculars::validateIniFile ocular.ini exists at: "C:\Documents and Settings\JPP\Application Data\Stellarium/modules/Oculars/ocular.ini" . Checking version...
    Oculars::validateIniFile found existing ini file version 2
    Loaded plugin "Satellites" .
    Satellites::getJsonFileVersion() version from file: "0.7.4"
    Satellites::init using satellite.json file: "C:\Documents and Settings\JPP\Application Data\Stellarium/modules/Satellites/satellites.json"
    Loaded plugin "SolarSystemEditor" .
    Using the ssystem.ini file that already exists in the user directory...
    Loaded plugin "TimeZoneConfiguration" .
    Simple planet shader build log: "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Shadow planet shader build log: "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Using vertex shader for atmosphere rendering.
    Atmosphere shader build log: "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Build log after adding a Mat4d transform shader: "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Build log after adding a stereographic projection shader: "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Satellites: starting update...
    Satellites: could not update orbital elements for "GPS BIIA-22 (PRN 30)" "22779" : no entry found in the source TLE lists.
    Satellites: could not update orbital elements for "AFRICASAT-1 (MEASAT-1)" "23765" : no entry found in the source TLE lists.
    Satellites: could not update orbital elements for "INTELSAT 709 (IS-709)" "23915" : no entry found in the source TLE lists.
    Satellites: could not update orbital elements for "SICRAL 1" "26694" : no entry found in the source TLE lists.
    Satellites: could not update orbital elements for "SICRAL 1B" "34810" : no entry found in the source TLE lists.
    Satellites::saveTleMap() writing to: "C:\Documents and Settings\JPP\Application Data\Stellarium/modules/Satellites/satellites.json"
    Satellites: updated 721 / 734 satellites. Update URLs contained 860 objects. There were 5 satellies missing from the update URLs
    Build log after adding a stereographic projection shader: "Built successfullyNo errors."
    Unloaded plugin "TimeZoneConfiguration" .
    Unloaded plugin "SolarSystemEditor" .
    Unloaded plugin "Satellites" .
    Unloaded plugin "Oculars" .
    Downloaded 0 files (0 kbytes) in a session of 1049.8 sec (average of 0 kB/s + 0 files from cache (0 kB)).

• Anonymous
    2013-07-25

I tried to install Stellarium on my professional laptop computer equiped with Win XP and Win 7 (dual boot).

On Win XP, everything is ok. The software runs very well. The graphic board is an AMD FirePro which supports OpenGL V4.1. Mine just supports OpenGL V2.1, but normally it's enough.

What I don't understand, is Stellarium works well on Barry's computer with the same graphic board than mine.

By finding a solution over internet, I also tried to add this command line in the config.ini file: use_qpaintenginegl2 = false.

It works, but according to the log file and the graphic rendering, Stellarium uses OpenGL V1 instead of V2, and the rendering is not maximized.

I think I will try with an additional graphic board with more power !!!

Jean-Pierre.

• Anonymous
    2014-05-09

I had trouble with 0.12.4 on XP too; it wouldn't display properly (the sky was purple or black and text was the same color so illegible) and when I would shut it down, it screwed the fonts on my system and I had to restart, so I removed it.
    I have an AMD Turion 64 Mobile Tech ML-32, 1.79 GHz and 1.87 GB of Ram

Is there a previous version I should try or should I try to update some drivers?

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Anonymous
    2014-05-09

re: AMD 64 above
    ps. I did have a version running on this laptop that I loaded a few years ago, but I had to do a system recover recently and lost all my programs and don't remember which version...

• Anonymous
    2014-05-12

re: above
    I went back and tried, randomly, 0.11.1.
    Here the software displays properly, but a few glitches: the drop down menu for the country location menu displays illegibly but by clicking on the map or going into the search box, you can find your home location. For objects, most things display, but zooming into the moon doesn't work while zooming into the planets does. Globular clusters don't seem to zoom very well either. I'm sure I had all this working on a previous version, but this one is mostly functional.
    Daniel

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments