Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Define new location in 0.10.1

Feedback
Cliclac
2009-02-17
2012-10-09
  • Cliclac
    Cliclac
    2009-02-17

I have trouble defining new location in 0.10.1.
    Each time I try to enter the name of the new location,
    the text "new location" erase (in less than 1 sec) the text I'm trying to enter!!!
    Any idea? Yours.

• Hello,

The problem is fixed by using the newer file. I had the original installed.
      Thank you very much for your help.

Jerry

• As it happens I found the same problem in 0.10.1 (Windows version). However there is a work around that I discovered only yesterday, there is a user locations file where you can enter the exact details of your location in text tab delimited format. It will then appear as a searchable entry in the list of locations, and you can make it the default. There is a main location file and a user location file, the main file contains details of the record format. I would have to look up the exact details again, but as I recall the files are in a folder under Documents and Settings\Userid\Application Data\Stellarium on my machine.

Colin

• Actually Chapter 5 in the user guide gives more information on the config files and setting your initial location. I used the Notepad++ program to edit as the basic files appeared to be unix format when first opened in normal Windows Notepad.

Colin

• barrykgerdes
      barrykgerdes
      2009-02-17

Hi

I don't quite understand what the problem is. I had absolutely no problem in adding three new locations via the location entry panel in the bottom half of the location menu.

I was able to make any one of them the default location. The file Colin is talking about which is indeed possible to write to or edit is the user_locations.txt. and the structure is listed at the beginning of the base_location.txt file

If it has been created from the location menu it will normally reside in the extended data folder which is in the documents and settings\yourname\application data\data.

Barry

• Hi,

Its more of a cosmetic issue, I can create a new location and set it as default, but it will not let me overtype 'New Location' even though I can put the cursor in the field. It will wipe out any attempt to type Guernsey as the location.

I am running 0.10.1 sucessfully on both Win XP and a Powerbook G4 and so far only minor issues.

Colin

• Bogdan Marinov
        Bogdan Marinov
        2009-02-17

Hi.

This is a known bug in 0.10.1 that has been fixed in the development version. The workaround is just what you described, renaming or adding the location in user_locations.txt manually.

Bogdan

• Hello, I too have experienced the same problem with entering a new location not in the list.

There is no problem entering the numerical values but any attempt to enter the name will fail. The cursor will simply jump to the end of the text box and any attempt to delete the "new Location" text will also fail with just a quick flash.

Easy to work around by saving the location as the new default and editing the config.ini to change the name to whatever you want. Worked perfectly for me.

Barry, thanks for you response to my questions.

Jerry

• barrykgerdes
      barrykgerdes
      2009-02-17

Hi

You say the problem has been fixed in the development version. Are you running the original 0.10.1 dated 5/2/09 or the updated 0.10.1 that was released a couple of days later. If so see

www.geocities.com/wendygblyde and download the modified dll.zip

This is the one I use and works perfectly.

Barry

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments