Menu

Bug+Feature Request

Feedback
JJ
2014-01-06
2014-01-09
  • JJ

JJ - 2014-01-06

Hi. I realized that in the past few versions the main window isn't the 'focus' when Stellarium starts (meaning: every time I need to first click in the screen in order to be able to use keyboard direction controls).
    Also, would it be possible to add a feature to manually set the FOV (zooming does big jumps so can't get an exact value)?
    Thank you

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-01-07

The FOV can be set by a script or in the config.ini file if you want a precise value.

Config.ini entry:- [navigation]
    init_fov = a
    Script commad :- StelMovementMgr.zoomTo(a, b);
    Where "a" is the FOV in degrees and "b" is the rate in seconds

Barry

Last edit: barrykgerdes 2014-01-07
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-01-07

But would it be possible to add something instead of having to do it with scripts (like adding a box to the Search-->Postion window)?

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-07

I'm just wondering - for what tasks you need to manually enter the field of view? IMHO Stellarium is not cartographic planetarium.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-01-07

i'm not the OP but i can easily give an example... when aligning the viewport for tracking satellites... i currently can get a 10 degree viewport but software that is used to enter the observations goes at least as far as 2 degrees FOV... being able to key these in would be helpful in numerous cases ;)

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-07

i wrote the above... i do not know why it showed up as anonymous when i was logged in :/

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-01-07

What could be more simpler than this
    1. open a text file "orphancommand.ssc"
    2. type in "StelMovementMgr.zoomTo(60, 2);"
    without the quotation marks
    3. Save it in your user area stellarium\scripts\

Whenvever you need to go to a special FOV execute the script

If you need many different FOV's make a number of scripts or just edit this one.

Barry

Last edit: barrykgerdes 2014-01-07
    • waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-08

On 1/7/2014 4:25 PM, barrykgerdes wrote:

What could be more simpler than this

:lol: really? more simpler would be to hit a key sequence in stellarium and
      simply type in the speficif FOV desired ;) O:)

1. open a text file "orphancommand.ssc"
      2. type in "StelMovementMgr.zoomTo(60, 2);"
      3. Save it in your user area stellarium\scripts\

Whenvever you need to go to a special FOV execute the script

If you need many different FOV's make a number of scripts or just edit this one.

sure if one knows anything about stellarium scripts... as long as i've been
      running stellarium, i guess i've run scripts maybe once and that was only a few
      of the "tour" type scripts just to see what they were showing (eg: anallema or
      the system tour)... other than that, scripts are and have been useless to my
      needs [shrug]

--
      NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.
      Please keep mailing list traffic on the list unless
      private contact is specifically requested and granted.

• JJ

JJ - 2014-01-08

But what's with the bug? I have Windows 7, and I have been noticing it since version 0.12.0. It's that the actual window is active but for some reason the directional keys don't work till I click somewhere in the window...

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-08

This issue was fixed in 0.13.0

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-01-08

Sorry what I wrote as a script takes four mouse strokes configure/scripts/select script/execute

with a dedicated key sequence you would need the sequence/keyin the value/execute. that is a mouse stroke use the keyboard then execute

As I am not a typist I need to see the keys to type in a number. Not easy in the dark. I like the mouse.

Barry

• Alexander Wolf

Guys, this feature request is stupid in my humble opinion and it really annoying me. I think this feature shouldn't be included in main application. In any case for those fellas, who want it I created a plugin, which gives stepwise zooming like in Cartes du Ciel planetarium via keyboard shortcuts Crtl+Alt+[0..9]. Values of those 10 "steps" are editable.

This plugin named "Field of View" and proposed by me to merging for trunk.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-01-08

What do you mean by "This plugin named 'Field of View' and proposed by me to merging for trunk"? Is it going to be added to the next version of Stellarium? I don't know about adding plugins...

• Alexander Wolf

Yes, this plugin will be available in next version of Stellarium.

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-09

On 1/8/2014 5:45 PM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

Yes, this plugin will be available in next version of Stellarium.

i forgot to ask, is it compatible with 0.12.4? if yes, what would be involved in
          acquiring it (with minimal effort) and installing it on 0.12.4?

--

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-09

i forgot to ask, is it compatible with 0.12.4? if yes, what would be involved in acquiring it (with minimal effort) and installing it on 0.12.4?

No, but it can be backported to 0.12 engine.

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-09

On 1/8/2014 8:43 PM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

i forgot to ask, is it compatible with 0.12.4? if yes, what would be
              involved in acquiring it (with minimal effort) and installing it on 0.12.4?

No, but it can be backported to 0.12 engine.

that would be fantastic, sir! :)

i know you and others involved with stellarium don't hear it enough but thanks
              very much for your work in providing this great piece of software to the world ;)

--

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-09

On 1/8/2014 9:05 AM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

Guys, this feature request is stupid in my humble opinion and it really annoying
      me. I think this feature shouldn't be included in main application. In any case
      for those fellas, who want it I created a plugin, which gives stepwise zooming
      like in Cartes du Ciel planetarium via keyboard shortcuts Crtl+Alt+[0..9].
      Values of those 10 "steps" are editable.

This plugin named "Field of View" and proposed by me to merging for trunk.

thank you! at least from this one person who has desired such for a very long
      time and just never asked hoping that it would appear in the next version...

FWIW: while i do have Cartes du Ciel and most other available astronomy and
      satellite related programs, i don't like them as well as i do stellarium... that
      mainly for stellarium's realistic sky view... as a long time pascal programmer,
      i can only hope to create half as nice a program in the future but it is on the
      bucket list ;)

--

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-01-08

Hi. I have been using Stellarium for quite a while and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks!!
    When I zoom all the way out in various projections and save a screenshot, the edges are cut off (meaning: some words, etc). Is it possible to fix that?
    Also, in the Hammer-Aitoff projection, when I zoom completely out, the whole image gets smaller and smaller, leaving mainly a black screen with a small image in middle. Can that also be changed?
    Basically, can the applicable projections be adjusted to leave a small black margin around the image when zoomed all the way out?
    Attached are examples of what happen

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-01-09

I posted the previous post with the pictures here because I wasn't sure how to attach files when starting a new subject. Sorry for any inconvenience.