Help - Trying to change maximum frame rate "fps" - Where is config.ini? - Question from Mac user (asked August 7 2013)

Feedback
Anonymous
2013-08-07
2013-08-09

• Anonymous
    2013-08-07

GREETINGS!!!!
    I am trying to use Stellarium but am finding that the program uses heavy CPU load, as many others have discussed.

[1] First, when I search for threads on this topic, your forum says that all the threads were last updated in 2012...but when I look at each one, I see some threads haven't been updated since 2004, which contradicts what your forum says. So, I have no idea what the current status is of this issue, or why your forum is giving me false information. (This is also why I put the date of my thread in the title....)

[2] Second, I am trying to reduce the CPU load, which, given the threads I was reading, seems most effective by changing the parameters in a file named

"config.ini"

to locate "config.ini" (I am on a Mac), and the webpage tells me that "config.ini" is located in ~/Library/Preferences/Stellarium/config.ini

But there is no folder named "Stellarium" in my "~/Library/Preferences/" folder.

I have also tried to edit "default_config.ini" inside of the Stellarium "Show Package Contents," but when I change the maximum_fps parameter (e.g. from 10000 to 25), Stellarium does not even recognize that I changed it.

QUESTION: Where is "config.ini" - or where is the file that I do need to change to get this to work?
    And why are the directions on the website wrong?

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-08-08

Hi

Firstly the location of your user area is best found by starting stellarium and open the help menu (F1). Click on the log and scroll down to you see where the log file is actually stored.

The config.ini file will be in the same folder. Open it with your text editor. Scroll down til you find the heading [video]. Set the maximum_fps = 100 and the minimum_fps = 5.
    These are the values I use.

Now this done run Stellarium again and see that the FPS is at a high rate while you have the mouse on the screen and when you are not on the screen the fps should drop to around 5 fps in about 3 or 4 seconds. The instant you mouse over again the fps will climb to your maximum rate

Barry

Last edit: barrykgerdes 2013-08-08

• Anonymous
    2013-08-08

Stellarium indicated that the config.ini file is located at:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Stellarium/config.ini

the maximum_fps you suggest, 100, is already too high, so I set it to 15 and reduced the minimum_fps to 1 frame per second. When I saved this file, and then relaunched Stellarium, I saw the frame rate go above the maximum that I set (15 fps)... Stellarium continued to process at about 50 fps. So, that didn't work. Why doesn't it work?

With regard to your third paragraph...yes, this works, but if I plan to use Stellarium for more than a few minutes I can't have it take up so much of my CPU. If I set maximum_fps to 15, then why did Stellarium process at higher than that?

(Slightly related question: On Windows, people report less than 10% CPU usage, whereas I'm using 20%-50%. Is this a Mac issue?)

• Anonymous
    2013-08-08

Stellarium indicated that the config.ini file is located at:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Stellarium/config.ini

the maximum_fps you suggest, 100, is already too high, so I set it to 15 and reduced the minimum_fps to 1 frame per second. When I saved this file, and then relaunched Stellarium, I saw the frame rate go above the maximum that I set (15 fps)... Stellarium continued to process at about 50 fps. So, that didn't work. Why doesn't it work?

With regard to your third paragraph...yes, this works, but if I plan to use Stellarium for more than a few minutes I can't have it take up so much of my CPU. If I set maximum_fps to 15, then why did Stellarium process at higher than that?

(Slightly related question: On Windows, people report less than 10% CPU usage, whereas I'm using 20%-50%. Is this a Mac issue?)

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-08-08

I checked the maximum_fps. Yes it does not appear to work. I have never reached 100 fps so I have never noticed. Submit a bug report. I use 5 fps as a minimum because it is a good compromise in flicker rate and CPU usage.

Barry

• Anonymous
    2013-08-09

Done.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments