Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

tui menu

Feedback
mph
2005-06-02
2012-10-09
  • mph
    mph
    2005-06-02

A question. How do we get 1) new cultures and 2) new languages into the tui menu? I figured out that the cultures go in the data/sky_cultures directory with constellationsart.fab, constellationship.fab, and constellations_names.xxx.fab files, and a definition in the data/skycultures.fab file. This only works if you specify culture in the config file, and crashes if you try to change it on the fly in the tui menu.

I'm hoping to someday create a set of Chinese asterisms based on Gustave Schelgel's Uranographie Chinoise...

• Rob Spearman
      Rob Spearman
      2005-06-02

You have the right files, so this is either a formatting error in one of the files, or a bug.

Could you use the tui to switch between western and polynesian cultures without crashing with the original skycultures.fab file?

We would love to have more cultures included in Stellarium, so I would encourage you to try adding some Chinese outlines. The hard part is finding good source material to work from.

• mph
        mph
        2005-06-04

Hmm. I got the sky culture working, and I can't get the problem to reproduce... I've only been playing with different data files. Maybe I added something that was missing. I'll post again if I can figure out more with this.

What about the second part of my question - how do you get something new on the sky language menu? I'm trying to get Ptolemaic descriptions as star names...

And in terms of sources, I have several, but it's a question of time. I'm thinking it would be faster to put in Hindu nakshtra or Inuit constellations first, as they are fewer...

• Rob Spearman
          Rob Spearman
          2005-06-04

The sky languages are hard coded in the program. I plan on moving that to a file before the next release so that it can be edited easily.

In the mean time you could make backup copies, and then just put your new language labels in the french or hawaiian files for testing for example.

Starting small is always good. You can edit your asterisms in one window, and then if you change to another culture and back again in the tui, stellarium will reload the files again.

How do these Chinese constellations match with your source?:

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Space/StarShine/HKSkyMap/e_starshine_hkskymap.htm

Someone is working on adding these.

Rob

• mph
            mph
            2005-06-10

I now have about 5 different sources for Chinese constellations. I have another source from the Hong Kong Space museum that matches your source fairly well (including the translations!). Perhaps I'll review the data once your list is complete and work on some of the other cultures in the meantime.

Are you using the english translated star names (since we can't display other fonts/Chinese characters yet)?

Is there a new release coming out soon?!?

• Rob Spearman
              Rob Spearman
              2005-06-11

I think we will have the next release ready sometime in July, hopefully.

I believe the link is from the HK space museum, so no wonder they match. :)

I will email you what I have so far to look at. We haven't done star names, but yes, they would have to be english right now.

• mph
            mph
            2005-06-10

Oh, speaking of data checks. I was trying to verify some of the data in Stellarium, but it is difficult because the star data is in binary form. Just looking at the sky, I noticed a couple of errors, though:

magnitude of Rasalgethi HIP 84345 is 2.78 instead of 5.35

you are missing Alula Australis HIP 55203 (HD 98230) RA 11 18 11 Dec +31 31 44, a 3.79 magnitude star

Checking names was much easier. I did come up with a list of about 137 additional star names from Kunitzsch's Short Guide to update commonname.fab.
            The files are available on my website at http://www.emotrics.com/stars/software/stellarium/
            I don't know if you are interested in incorporating these potential changes into the program and what the procedure should be for verifying them. Should I be submitting them as a 'patch' on the other part of this website? I haven't done anything on sourceforge before.

• Rob Spearman
              Rob Spearman
              2005-06-11

Thanks for the great detail. It looks like we have some bad records in our hipparcos data file for some reason, which is why 55203 is not being loaded. I'm looking into it.

FYI, at the same time I discovered that stars above magnitude 9 aren't loaded in version 0.6.2 (about 32k stars).

I will look over your star name list and include it in the next release. We are definitely interested in improvements like this.

Thanks!

• Rob Spearman
      Rob Spearman
      2005-06-25

For anyone who is interested, here are preliminary Chinese constellation files for Stellarium.

Put these in a stellarium data/sky_cultures/chinese/ directory. Then edit the data/skycultures.fab to add chinese (be sure to use a tab between the label and directory).

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/checkout/stellarium/stellarium/data/sky_cultures/chinese/constellationship.fab?rev=1.1

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/checkout/stellarium/stellarium/data/sky_cultures/chinese/constellation_names.eng.fab?rev=1.2

• Hi, it works, but only if you remove the leading blank from the first line of the constellationship.fab file.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments