Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Windows build

Feedback
MarionY
2007-09-15
2014-05-13
  • MarionY
    MarionY
    2007-09-15

I am trying to set up a windows build environment and (thought) I followed the instructions. I get to the cmake command in msys and it fails because it says the g++ complier is broken. I have reinstalled it several times already. Right now I have it in c:\mingw, path is set to c:\mingw\bin, and I have a fstab in msys\1.0\ect pointing msys\1.0\mingw to it. When I installed mingw in msys, then cmake couldn't find it. There is also a g++ in Dev-Cpp but it doesn't seem to look there. I added Dev-Cpp to the MSYS environment PATH command, but it still doesn't look there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Also, I got the development version from SVN. It has the cmakelists. I was going to practice compiling with it. But I really want to work with 8.2. I got 8.2 from cvs, but it does not have the cmake files. I can see v8 in SVN but I don't know how to check it out.
    Thanks again,
    Marion

• Matthew Gates
      Matthew Gates
      2007-09-15

The 0.8.x series builds using autotools - automake, autoconf and friends. The build process on Windows using the autotools is not known to me - I have only ever used autotools on *nix systems (I only recently set up a Windows build environment). Older version of the wiki page might help - look under the history for that page.

Using "which cmake", "which g++", "g++ --version" and so on, here's what I find in my MSYS build environment:

cmake is found at: /c/Program Files/CMake 2.4/bin/cmake
      cmake version is 2.4-patch6

g++ is found at: /mingw/bin/g++
      g++ version is g++.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)

make is found at: /bin/make
      make has version: 3.79.

What is the exact message you see which tells you g++ is broken?

Matthew

• MarionY
        MarionY
        2007-09-15

Thank you for reply.

I have c:/Cmake 2.4/bin/cmake
        version 2.4 patch5

There are two g++
        C:/dev-cpp/bin/g++
        and
        C:/minGW/gin/g++
        this one is version 3.4.2-20040916
        In c:/msys/1.0/mingw there is nothing.
        I uninstalled minGW from C; and reinstalled to c:/msys/1.0/mingw but got essentailly the same error message. I can try it again.

I am sorry. Perhaps I made a mess of all the installations. Am willing to start over.

There is a make at
        c:/msys/1.0/bin/make

Here is the error:
        cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" ../..
        -- Check for working C compiler: /MinGW/bin/gcc.exe
        -- Check for working C compiler: /MinGW/bin/gcc.exe -- broken
        CMake Error: The C compiler "/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe" is not able to compile a simple test program.
        It fails with the following output:
        /usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCom pileExec.dir/build
        make[1]: Entering directory /usr/home/Administrator/stellarium9/builds/msys/CMa keFiles/CMakeTmp' /c/CMake\ 2.4/bin/cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_report /C/msys/1.0/home/Administra tor/stellarium9/builds/msys/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1 Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.obj /MinGW/bin/gcc.exe -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.obj -c / C/msys/1.0/home/Administrator/stellarium9/builds/msys/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCC ompiler.c /bin/sh: /MinGW/bin/gcc.exe: No such file or directory make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/home/Administrator/stellarium9/builds/msys/CMak eFiles/CMakeTmp'
        make[1]: [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.obj] Error 127
        make:
        [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2
        Marion

• Matthew Gates
          Matthew Gates
          2007-09-15

I think this is the key line:

/bin/sh: /MinGW/bin/gcc.exe: No such file or directory

This makes me think the mingw installation is not healthy for some reason. I didn't install MinGW myself - I let the QT 4.3.0 installer do it for me. I don't know if that is helpful.

Matthew

• MarionY
      MarionY
      2007-09-15

This is what I have in msys\1.0\etc\fstab
      c:/mingw /mingw
      c:/ActiveState/perl /perl

I thought this would point to C:/mingw.
      Marion

• MarionY
      MarionY
      2007-09-15

Ok - Thanks. I'll try to get Qt to load mingw.
      MarionY

• Anonymous
    2014-05-13

This is my error, who can help me to fix it

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2014-05-13

This thread is obsolete. What do you want to build? Instructions for making a build environment are in the wiki. If you want to build with msys and mingw use the 32 bit build. The current source for version 0.13.0 works well once you have all the dependencies, about a 2GB download!

Barry

Last edit: barrykgerdes 2014-05-13

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments