Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Wrong sign of the zodiac on specified date

Feedback
Anonymous
2013-08-13
2014-09-08

• Anonymous
    2013-08-13

I want to see and define in Stellarium my sign of zodiac on a constellations map on the date of my birthday(13.11.1978-Scorpio)
    It should be the Sun in Scorpio(Скорпион) constellation but Stellarium shows Sun in Gemini(Весы). However on date 14.08.2013 it displays Sun in Leo and it is absolutely correctly.
    What is wrong there?

• barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-08-14

There is nothing wrong with Stellarium. Stellarium has nothing to do with astrology which puts the houses as they were 2000 years ago. In fact the sun now passes through 13 houses. If you believe in astrology you will need to consult your astrologer.

Barry

• Anonymous
    2013-08-14

There is realy 13 houses.
    Сan you explain me what does it means "puts the houses as they were 2000 years ago"?

Attachments
  • barrykgerdes
    barrykgerdes
    2013-08-14

The tables that astrologers use to promote their garbage were drawn up over 2000 years ago. Precession over the last 2000 years has moved the direction that the polar axis points. This has caused the eclipic plane to traverse a different portion of the background sky. So the "houses" signs of the zodiac (constellations that the sun moves through) now number 13 as Ophiuchus needs to be included.

Barry

Last edit: barrykgerdes 2013-08-15

• Anonymous
      2014-09-08

Precession over the last 2000 years has moved the direction that the polar axis points. This has caused the eclipic plane to traverse a different portion of the background sky.

The latter statement isn't quite as accurate as the former. The ecliptic plane hasn't shifted against the background stars, as that would require a change in the tilt of Earth's orbit. The Sun's apparent yearly path across the sky stays the same - however, the equinox/solstice points are shifting to the west due to the precession of Earth's rotation axis.

The calendar is tuned to the tropical year rather than the sidereal year, similarly to our clocks being tuned to mean solar time rather than sidereal time - after all, Earth's orientation towards the Sun, both orbital with regard to its axial tilt (calendar) and rotational (clock), is generally of much greater significance for us than its orientation in space generally (with respect to the "fixed stars", i.e. orbital orientation without regard to its axial tilt). As a result, the Sun passes through the same actual point in the sky at a later calendar date as time passes (about a day in a human life, which is of course purely coincidental). Over the period of over two millenia this shift has accumulated to a whole month - for instance, the autumn equinox which used to be in Libra is now in Virgo, and as a result the Sun passes through the point on the ecliptic where the equinox had been 2000 years ago about a month later in the calendar.

• Anonymous
    2013-08-15

I also thought about the polar axis points.
    Uniquely should be 13..
    So now i'm Libra). Very interesting and funny).
    Thanks!

• Anonymous
    2014-08-28

On my birthdate in Aug. 28, 1947 Stellarium shows the sun in Leo. On today's date it is showing it where I always thought it was in Virgo. Was I born a Leo or Virgo?

• Anonymous
    2014-08-28

Please answer. Is there something wrong with my Stellarium. Where was the sun end of Aug. 1947 in reality & where is it in end of Aug 2014 in reality, both perspectives as seen on earth. Why does Stellarium show two different constellations for the two different years but same month and day? I'm asking what Stellarium is claiming. Was the sun really in Leo in 1947 but now has suddenly shifted to Virgo?...or is Stellarium accepting an astrologer's calculation one year but not another? Shouldn't they be the same in reality? I don't need an astrologer. I need a consistent, scientifically correct Stellarium. No astrology please.

• Alexander Wolf
      Alexander Wolf
      2014-08-28

Stellarium is astronomical software and he don't know about astrological world. Astrological zodiac signs is not related to real constellation over 2000 years already. In first question you ask about astrological zodiac sign - please ask astrologers about. In real life the Sun was in Leo constellation at end of Aug for both years. The Sun was in Virgo at end of Aug around 1200 years ago.

Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac

• gzotti
        gzotti
        2014-09-08

In Hellenistic antiquity astronomers/astrologers (unseparable at that time) defined 12 numerical signs (not "houses"!) of the Zodiac, which are 30-degree sections of the ecliptic named after 12 of the 13 constellations that are visible along the ecliptic, and which were roughly aligned with these sections about 2000 years ago. While the equinoxes precessed along the ecliptic (causing a shift of the starry background), those sign names were kept. For practical reasons, the signs were also part of star coordinates until about 1600AD.

The strange superstition called Astrology, based in Near-East antiquity in a worldview that includes Earth as center of the universe and all heavenly bodies running around Earth, holds that the zodiac position of the sun at birth time should be remembered as "astrological sign" and may be influential on the fate of the newborn. For some unexplicable reason, in the age of spaceflight, an incredible number of humans still think this is of relevance.

If it makes Anonymous happy: You were born Human, with a brain to think for yourself. Your Zodiac sign is Virgo. Nowadays this means the true starry background the Sun happened to be in front of at that time is about "1 figure earlier", but in fact the sign is just based on eliptic longitude being between 150 and 180 degrees (called Virgo 1-30 in previous centuries). It is a geometric fact, but in all likeliness totally irrelevant to your fate, except when you or your employer or some other relevant person around you believes in astrology and decides, based on this geometric fact, in favor or against you.

And if you say "no astrology please", then why do you ask which sign you "are"?

• gammaburst
    gammaburst
    2014-08-29

Related tip: press 'b' to display the astronomical constellation boundaries, and 'v' to display the constellation names. If you set the date to 1-Jan-1875, the boundaries will align with the equatorial grid.

• Anonymous
      2014-08-29

When setting the date/time to exactly 1875/01/01 00:00:00 UTC, the equator is already 3.44'' north of the parallel constellation boundaries. The moment they do line up perfectly is on 1874/08/31 at about 04:17:00 UTC. Is this correct, or is it an inaccuracy on Stellarium's part?

• gammaburst
    gammaburst
    2014-08-30

The RA and Dec alignments seem to vary by a few arcseconds across the sky. Some places are pretty close at 1-Jan-1875. It could be small arithmetic roundoffs.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments