Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Disappointment: Chinese Constellations

Feedback
2006-05-07
2012-10-09
  • Current information included in this program regarding Chinese Constellations are INCOMPLETE, yet you just wanted the translators to rush out a locale pack like whatever you name it. Same things go to other sky cultures; without further research and confirmation into the correctness of those infomation previously included inside this program by their respective native users, I doubt the info's reliability and thus refuse to translate them until I am convinced otherwise. There is no need to translate what might be wrong and ill to educational purpose, and I have revealed that at least the Chinese part is incorrect.

Furthermore, I submitted a Chinese version of homepage to admin a month ago twice or thrice yet never get a response from whomever is responsible for the website, nor the page went online. I am quite disappointed by such attitude. After all it was you who told us to submit a localized homepage yet when I submitted one, no damn attention to it.

G.S.K.Lee

• Johan Meuris
      Johan Meuris
      2006-05-08

I'm the one to blame for the silence regarding the Chinese homepage. Fabien did forward it to me, but I've been putting it off, due to a lack of time.

A Post-It reminder sits on the edge of my monitor though, so as soon as I have some time, I'll think about it, and we can edit and upload the Chinese page.
      I should've let you know. I still have some questions about line breaks and so on...

Thanks for yelling!

Johan

• No problem at all. I believe you have my email address already; please drop me a notice about the questions.

G.S.K.Lee

• Rob Spearman
      Rob Spearman
      2006-05-07

If there are problems with the Chinese constellations, submit a patch or otherwise tell us what is wrong.

The constellations are based on diagrams from the Hong Kong Space Museum (which include Chinese labels):

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Space/StarShine/HKSkyMap/e_starshine_hkskymap.htm

If we are made aware of issues with constellation data we will correct them, but we already have native users for all but ancient Egyptian. However, this is a completely different issue from translation.

I can't speak to the website administration issue.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

• Modern day definitions to Chinese traditional constellations and star names generally cite references from 《儀象考成》, according to which there are 300 constellations, 3083 named observable stars. Since there are only 93 Chinese traditional constellation names included in Stellarium, it is quite obvious a large chunk of information is missing.

I am of course willing to help filling the gap, otherwise I won't bother yelling here, however if the result I get when I am about to submit this "patch" wil be once again a no response, I doubt I will ever start working on this patch.

G.S.K.Lee

• Rob Spearman
        Rob Spearman
        2006-05-07

Let me know directly if you have constellation changes and I can get those sorted out.

Rob

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments