auto zoom behaviour

Feedback
2005-10-06
2012-10-09
  • Matthew Gates
    Matthew Gates
    2005-10-06

I'd like to renovate the auto zoom out as described in RFE1310486. It seems that some small modification to the command language use might also be helpful. I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Here's what I think would be nice:

auto zoom out (no object selected, non-subsyste, object selected, or subsystem object selected but zoom level is wider than subsystem fov): zoom to initial fov, don't move to initial direction of view.

auto zoom out (subsystem object selected, zoom is tighter that subsystem fov) : zoom out to subsystem fov.

auto zoom initial (regardless of selected objects, current zoom level etc): point at initial location, and zoom out to initial fov.

I'd also like to introduce a new option to stay on the selected object, but always zoom to the initial fov, regardless of current zoom level and subsystem status of the object: "auto zoom out full". The exact syntax of the command might be easier to implement as "auto zoom out_full".

• Rob Spearman
      Rob Spearman
      2005-10-07

We can add new scripting commands or command arguments but for backward compatibility we can't change the behaviors of existing commands/arguments.

My customers are dependent on the current behavior, so changing the keyboard action would need to be a configuration option.

• Matthew Gates
      Matthew Gates
      2005-10-07

Sure, understood.

• Matthew Gates
      Matthew Gates
      2005-10-08

To avoid conflicts with existing definitions of commands, how does this sound:

The "zoom auto out" command could have an optional keyword "here" meaning that the location is not set to the initial location.

The "here" keyword might also be applied to the command "zoom auto initial" to zoom out to the initial zoom level without moving position, regardless of current zoom level and sub-system status of the selected object.

How does it sound?

• Rob Spearman
      Rob Spearman
      2005-10-08

Now you can just use the "zoom fov 60" variety of command to do a similar thing.

Is the root issue that you don't know the initial fov from a script? From a key press this wouldn't be an issue.

• Matthew Gates
      Matthew Gates
      2005-10-09

Actually the scripting changes were an afterthought. What got me thinking about it was the / and \ keybindings.

What I found myself doing was selecting an object, zooming in with /. Then I'd think something like, "OK, I wonder what's nearby", and press \ to zoom out. I really like that it zooms to subsystem fov if you're tight in on a satellite of Jupiter or something, but I found it annoying that it always returns to the original position if it's zooming out beyond subsystem view.

I think there's still value in being able to press a key and get to a standard fov and position - my feeling being the home key makes sense for this, and that this shouldn't go to subsystem view at all. Just to "go home" regardless.

So how it's implemented in the command system isn't really an issue for me - I think I was just "thinking alound" about how I thought it might be done, but you're right - breaking backward compatability is bad.

• Furry
      Furry
      2005-10-07

What OS are you working on, and what development platform?

I must admit, I don't use the scripting (we all use the program a little differently) so can't comment on the changes. The other developers may have some thoughts, however.

• Matthew Gates
      Matthew Gates
      2005-10-07

Linux / gcc (GCC) 3.3.6 (Gentoo 3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8)

I posted a rough and ready patch that implements how I think is a nice way to do things. patch ID 1315139. Apply it against CVS from 2005-10-06.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments