Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Error on loading STAF on boot

calic
2012-05-24
2013-06-12
  • calic
    calic
    2012-05-24

Hello,

I'm getting error while loading STAF on boot in RHEL. STAF is added to chkconfig and loads on boot. It gives the following info and hangs.

INFO: task STAFproc: 4127 blocked for more than 120 seconds

and then it shows call trace and hangs.

Please help.

• Sharon Lucas
    Sharon Lucas
    2012-05-24

What version of RHEL are you using?

Did you following the instructions in section "11.1 Unix" for "RHEL 4 and 5" in the STAF Installation Guide at http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFInstall.pdf?  Did you first verify that your STAFProc init script works correctly for your environment by running it manually as follows:

# cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
    # ./stafproc start
    Starting STAFProc:
    Waiting for STAFProc to finish initalizing
    STAFProc initialized

Did you time it to see if STAFProc completed initializing in < 120 seconds when run manually and that a "STAF local PING PING" request works when STAFProc is started?

When starting STAFProc automatically on boot when you get this error, what is the output from the stafproc
    init script in file /var/log/messages?

What is the content of your init script that you created (e.g.  /etc/rc.d/init.d/stafproc)?

What is the content of your STAF.cfg file (e.g. /usr/local/staf/bin/STAF.cfg)?

• calic
    calic
    2012-05-25

The RHEL version is
    # cat /etc/redhat-release
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.6 (Tikanga)

>>Did you following the instructions in section "11.1 Unix" for "RHEL 4 and 5" in the STAF Installation Guide at >>http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFInstall.pdf?
    It's an intermittent issue. This issue occurs for 20% of the RHEL VM servers while mass booting.

# ./stafproc status
    STAFProc (pid  4049) is running…

>>Did you time it to see if STAFProc completed initializing in < 120 seconds when run manually and that a "STAF local >>PING PING" request works when STAFProc is started?
    Yes

>>When starting STAFProc automatically on boot when you get this error, what is the output from the stafproc
    >>init script in file /var/log/messages?
    Nothing in /var/log/messages. Error only on boot screen.

When I'm auto booting VMs via vmware, STAF  hangs (20 % of servers) with that error. But when I manually boot those VMs, staf is loading fine.

# cat /usr/software/test/staf/current/bin/STAF_IPv4.cfg
    # Turn on tracing of internal errors and deprecated options
    trace enable tracepoints "error deprecated"

# Enable TCP/IP connections
    interface tcp library STAFTCP option Secure=No  option Port=6500 option PROTOCOL=IPv4

# Set default local trust
    trust machine local://local level 5

# Add default service loader
    serviceloader library STAFDSLS
    #VVVVVVVVVVVVVV# EDITED BY XX #VVVVVVVVVVVVV#

SERVICE log     LIBRARY STAFLog
    SERVICE monitor LIBRARY STAFMon
    SERVICE respool LIBRARY STAFPool
    SERVICE reaper  LIBRARY STAFReaper

SET DEFAULTSTOPUSING SIGINT
    SET DEFAULTSAMECONSOLE
    SET MAXQUEUESIZE 65536
    TRUST LEVEL 5 DEFAULT

SET PROCESSAUTHMODE None
    SET DATADIR /var/staf/data
    SET VAR STAF/Env/STAF_DEBUG_RC_21=1
    NOTIFY ONSTART MACHINE X.X.X.X NAME registration

• Sharon Lucas
    Sharon Lucas
    2012-05-29

I had a typo in my previous post.  I meant to say that this issue is NOT related specifically to STAF - It is a Linux kernel issue.