Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Staden & the Intel Macintoshes

Newtlab
2006-01-16
2013-04-18
  • Newtlab
    Newtlab
    2006-01-16

I've been using Staden in my lab for years. I'm a biologist not a computer person, all I know is Staden works wonderfully on my Macs. I was all set to buy three more iMacs and they changed them to the Intel processor. I can't seem to find any information from Apple so does anyone here know:

Will the X11 application run on these new machines?

Will Staden run on these new machines?

If not is Apple going to remake X11 & all the underpinnings to allow Staden to work as is or will it have to be modified too?

• James Bonfield
      James Bonfield
      2006-01-16

I imagine that Apple plan support for the Intel machines every bit as good as their support for existing Macs.

X11 already runs on intel platforms (ie linux) so there's no reason to expect Apple's X11 to have issues. Staden too should compile and run ok. The only issue is that I don't have access to the hardware (or apparently the time right now as I've been put to task on higher priority things). However assuming I get access at some stage and the time then the next release will include Mac Intel binaries.

James

PS. If Apple for some reason choose not to support X11 (unlikely) then I certainly won't be supporting it either. I have neither the knowledge or the time to rewrite all of the Staden GUI code to use Apple's native interface.

• Newtlab
      Newtlab
      2006-01-25

I have found this problem exists with other software we use. Will it be a problem with Staden?

The applications require Apple Java VM version 1.3 specifically. While Mac on Intel computers support Java versions 1.4 and 1.5, there is no version of Java 1.3 that can run on Mac on Intel computers, either natively or within Rosetta.

• James Bonfield
      James Bonfield
      2006-02-02

The Staden package doesn't use Java anywhere so it will not matter.

James