Sarting on MacOSX

2005-10-14
2013-04-18
  • I've downloaded the last staden 1.6 for MacOsX, what now? If I click on any of the program in macosxbin it either do no start or the open dialog is greyed out! Can a non-unix geek explain to us mere human how to use this package? Thanks

• James Bonfield
      James Bonfield
      2005-10-14

Something I always forget to add to the release notes. You need X11 installed. It's free from the apple developer site (somewhere). Then it should start correctly. The main programs you'll want to start are pregap4, gap4, spin and trev. The others don't have proper "bundle" wrappers and should be started from a terminal window (after setting up the appropriate environment too), but largely they're not needed to be run in that manner anyway.

James

• What are these four OS X applications among the unix binaries in the "macosx-bin" folder?
      I thought they were native OS X versions of the programs (gap4, pregap4, spin, Trev). However, when I double-clic on them, they quit after a few seconds without any error message.

• James Bonfield
      James Bonfield
      2006-01-03

They're little stub programs to launch the main application. However they will only work if you have MacOSX X11 (X windows) installed. In theory I think they'll start it up if it's not running, but if that's not the case try launching X11 first.

James