• Hello,

I am going to start a MLST project and I am looking for a nice software for data analysis and storage. I have read about the STARS option, which apparently needs Staden for operation. But as far as I could see, STARS is for UNIX (or Linux?) only, and I am using Windows.
    So my question is if Staden can be used for MLST data analysis and management. Is there anyone with experience in this field using Staden? Are there any applicatives for MLST other than STARS for Staden?

Thank you.

• James Bonfield
    James Bonfield

I'm not aware of any other MLST extensions to the Staden Package other than STARS. I don't even know if STARS integrates any more with the latest Staden Package releases - quite probably not given some of the directory rearrangements that have happened.  If you do need STARS specifically I could perhaps suggest using something like vmplayer to install biolinux as a virtual machine on windows ( implies STARS works as part of biolinux). However that's not really what most people would call "running on windows".

I'm not aware of the current tools in MLST so I've no real advice to suggest for alternatives.  You're probably best off looking for Windows multiple alignment editors (google found BioEdit as a nice looking candidate) and starting from there.

Good luck,

• Shlomo Blum
    Shlomo Blum

Thank you very much for the prompt reply!