SquashFS 3.1-r2 mounting 1.3-r3 filesystem

Rui Santos
2006-11-06
2013-05-29
  • Rui Santos
    Rui Santos
    2006-11-06

Hi,

We, GrupoPIE, have been using SquashFS since the 1.3 version.

We have several EPOS systems using 1.x and 2.x version of SquashFS.

I was trying the new 3.0-r2 version of SquashFS with a 2.6.17.14 kernel, and wasn't able to mount a v1.3-r3 generated mksquashfs with v3.1-r2 compiled in kernel. Here is the error output:

SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, Squashfs 1.0 filesystems are unsuported
    SQUASHFS error: Please recompile with Squashfs 1.0 suport enabled

For me, for legacy purposes, it is imperative that squashfs 3.1-r2 suports the v1.3-r3 generated filesystems.

Is there any way to do this ?

Thanks in advance,

Rui Santos

• Squashfs 3.x doesn't support 1.x filesystems.  This is known, and adding 1.x support to Squashfs 3.x is a TODO item.  The CVS version of Unsquashfs does now support 1.x filesystems, and kernel support will be added when I get time.

• Anonymous
    2010-06-05

Since 2007, maybe you find a moment to implement a method to use old flavor of squasfs mount?

It is just i have 2To of one big squashfs archive data inaccessible du to your decision of cutting compatibility.

Notice that unsquashfs is unusable: i have not the 6To of disk to extract them, and even if i buy 6To of disk, unsquashfs is full of memory eating making it unusable for expansion.

No in place conversion tool exist… Your decision to cut compatibility is really absolutely wrong.

You may have decided to create  'squashfs2' kernel format, using a new magic & fully included in kernel, thus letting classical squasfs less than 3.1 version accessible by the original patch. But nothig like this… at this time the old patch is not applicable against current kernel due to interference against kernel squashfs format…

Do not spent time to explain wrong motivation of your decision, and simply build an corrective patch for the kernel allowing to mount old flavour of squashfs. Do not event say to me it is not possible, simply attach your patch to the infamous message 'Major/Minor mismatch', and let the #{\@`#{ of data be mount!

• Anonymous
    2013-01-14

Hi Philip!

Great job with your squash filesystem project!! Your effort is really appreciated!

I honestly understand that reading comments like @tatoute ones you do not want to work on any feature he requests but we are legion which for circumstances use yet old version of the software and would like (very much) to see that feature on the next releases of squashfs.

So hope you can give a look into it and write a backport for that feature !!

Thank you in advance!!