Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

OCI.dll

Help
Jay
2009-04-07
2013-04-16
  • Jay
    Jay
    2009-04-07

I am receiving an error when attempting to run 1.21RC3 that OCI.dll is not found.  Does this mean that there is a prerequisite for SQLTools++?  Or must I first install an older version and reinstall 1.21RC3?  And I do not install to the default location, rather to a second drive where space is not an issue.  I have tried reinstalling as the error dialog suggests but to no avail.

• Jay
      Jay
      2009-04-07

Asked and answered.  I did not read the "fine print" - Oracle Client required

• Jay
      Jay
      2009-04-08

I guess I need a more definitive answer.  What Oracle Client is required?  I have installed the Oracle 10g Lite Client, but do not find the OCI.dll in the installation.  Any tips?

• randolf_geist
      randolf_geist
      2009-04-08

I don't know what a 10g Lite Client is, but you can use the so called "Instant Client" which can be downloaded from here for Windows 32-bit:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html

Just download the "Basic" package, version 11.1.0.7 or 10.2.0.4 either should be fine. Extract the archive in any directory and point the "Start in" directory of the SQLTools++ link to this directory and you're done basically.

Note that the Oracle Client by default uses a file called TNSNAMES.ORA to resolve database alias names, but in SQLTools++ you can bypass this and directly enter host, port and SID/SERVICE_NAME of your database instance you want to connect to in the Connect dialog.

You can use the environment variable TNS_ADMIN to define the directory where the TNSNAMES.ORA file is located. For more information, check the Oracle documentation.

Best Regards,
      Randolf