About release 1.20RC3

2008-03-14
2013-04-16
  • Hi Randolf,

I've been testing SQLTools++ release 1.20RC3

Some points:
    - When I make a new connection now shows a message box "Loading Object Cache", after comes "Loading Object List". How can I disable this; I don't need to load the object list at startup
    - The performance fetch is poor; for example: Select * from table returns about 10000 rows. When I click to go to the last line in grid the fetch is about 100 records or less per time. I remember that Alex had disabled some functionality for 7.x compatibility. There is a message in the forum about this but I could not find it.
    - For some reason when installed SQLTools++ with SQLTools Windows recognize the program as the same. If I open the SQLTools for example, when trying to open SQLTools++ Windows do not open another instance, it shows the original window.

Some suggestions:
    - CLOB viewer in a separate window like SQLNavigator
    - Panel in Stored Objects - In SQLNavigator when a stored object like a Package is loaded from DB a Panel is displayed in the left side of the window with all the Procedures, Functions, variables, etc... 
    - A PL/SQL Beautifier would be great

Regards,
    Alexandre Tarquino

• randolf_geist
      randolf_geist
      2008-03-14

Hi Alexandre,

thanks for giving SQLTools++ a try.

Regarding your issues:
      - The "Loading Object Cache" is a new feature that comes with the "Enhanced Visuals". If you disable this feature in the "PlusPlus" Settings page then you won't get that message, but it will disable all enhanced visuals (like match braces, identify too long identifiers etc.). "Loading Object List" is a message that you should get with all SQLTools versions as this is the initial population of the "Object List" (or Schema browser) you get with "Alt+3".

- Regarding the fetch performance: I can't reproduce this issue, actually SQLTools++ in those installations that I know fetches rather quickly and performs better than other tools. The current code does the following: If the client version is >= 9i then it sets the Prefetch size defined in the "Data Grid 1" settings dialog.

So please do two things:
      * Check this setting for your installation in the "Data Grid 1" settings page
      * Check your Oracle Client version, if you still use an 8i Client consider upgrading, as already mentioned from 9i on Prefetching is enabled. It seems to have been disabled by Alex for pre-9i Clients due to an Oracle Client bug.

- Regarding the different versions running at the same time: You have probably unchecked the setting "Allow multiple instances to run" in the "Editor - General" settings. In that case the check if an instance is already running currently does not distinguish between a SQLTools instance and a SQLTools++ instance. I have to check if I can change that easily without any side effects. For the time being, if you enable this setting there should not be any issue starting both versions at the same time.

Regarding your suggestions:
      - There is already a "Popup Editor" available in the Grid "Context" menu. Just give it a try if it suites your needs. I don't know the CLOB viewer of SQLNavigator, but the "Popup Editor" shows the cell context in a separate window

- PL/SQL outline view is already on the "Feature request" list available here on the SQLTools++ sourceforge site.

- I like those beautifiers, too. I'm currently using the following online tool: http://www.sqlinform.com/. Of course it's not as handy as an integrated beautifier... I'll put in on the "Feature request" list, but since it's a quite tedious work to have an beautifier with all those options to make people happy I guess other features will be added first

Regards,
      Randolf

• Hi Randolf,

Some replies... :D

- About "Loading Object List", the version 1.5 of SQLTools don't shows this message in startup. For me it's so annoying to get ride of this message when opening an instance of SQLTools. In many cases I work with customers VPN and the Object List demands a long time to mount.

- Different versions running at the same time: Windows identify SQLTools and SQLTools++ as the same program. If you have both programs in your machine and associates the .pls extension to SQLTools, for example, when you uninstall SQLTools you cannot associate with SQLTools++ because the "Open with default program" in Windows don't recognize the program anymore.

Thanks for your reply and keep going on SQLTools++.
      Alexandre Tarquino
      Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

• Randolf,

About CLOB viewer in "Popup Editor" - For LONG data works but limits to a few characters, for CLOB simply don't work.

Thanks,
      A.Tarquino

• randolf_geist
      randolf_geist
      2008-03-17

Hi Alexandre,

OK, I got your point and I've added a "feature request" that the object list should not be populated by default (or at least add an option to prevent this from happening).

Different versions and the file association: That's again a different story, haven't tried that yet. But I think you should be able to select the executable that you want to associate with the file extension (Explorer->Open with, and then the button below the list to search for a particular executable)

Regarding the Popup Editor: You need to adjust the max column fetch size in the "Data Grid 1" setting. I've set it to 65536 so it fetches the first 64k of a large column. Of course it's an issue that the grid column already contains then the large amount of data, but currently the Popup Editor does not re-fetch the data, so you have to live it for the time being.

Regarding the CLOB data: Can you give some more details than "simply doesn't work", because I use it regularly to look at CLOB data. If it's in the Grid column, the Popup Editor should be able to show it.

Regards,
      Randolf

• Randolf,

- Thanks for the "feature request" about Object List.
      - Regarding CLOB: it works fine, it was my fault trying to read a CLOB that was empty(ops) :D
      - About the program versions: when uninstalling one program (SQLTools or ++) the "Explorer->Open with" doesn't recognize the other anymore. Maybe some code inside the program identify both as the same.

Regards,
      Alexandre Tarquino

• randolf_geist
        randolf_geist
        2008-04-10

Alexandre,

with regards to the initial population ("Loading object list...") I've checked now the version SQLTools 1.5 beta, and it behaves basically the same as SQLTools++.

There is however one interesting trick that you can apply also to SQLTools++:

If the "Object Browser" window (that one that gets activated via ALT+3 by default) is _not_ docked then it will not load the object list until it is actually visible. If it is docked, it will be refreshed as soon as a connection is established.

So it looks like that in SQLTools 1.5 by default the "Object Browser" window is undocked while in SQLTools++ it is docked, therefore the different default behaviour.

As soon as the window is docked in SQTools 1.5 you'll get the same initial loading as in SQLTools++, or vice-versa if you undock the window in SQLTools++ you'll get want you want (no initial population).

So if you in addition disable the "Enhanced visuals" in SQLTools++ you should be able to establish a database connection without further delays.

Hope this helps as long as no newer version of SQLTools++ with some enhancements in this regard has been released.

Best regards,
        Randolf

• Randolf,

Regarding the problem with program versions I think I got the problem.
      SQLTools++ shares the same information with SQLTools inside Windows Registry.

When I associate a .pls extension then I have this key: HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\pls_auto_file\shell\open\command\Default=""C:\Program Files\SQLTools 1.42\SQLTools.exe" "%1""
      If I uninstall SQLTools this key remains and then the "Explorer->Open With" utility doesn't work because that key wasn't remove by the uninstaller process.

Regards,
      Alexandre Tarquino

• Randolf,

Is it possible to correct these problems?

Tks,
      A.Tarquino

• randolf_geist
      randolf_geist
      2008-03-29

Alexandre,

currently I'm quite busy (in my actual job) and not getting done much regarding SQLTools++. My currently assigned task is the merge with the remaining SQLTools 1.5 features, in particular the Connection Dialog/Encrypted passwords and potentially partitioning support for SQLTools' own DDL generation as well as the enhanced PL/SQL parser.

The Connection stuff is already migrated (I've created an CVS branch for that) and the other remaining things are probably not going to be merged due to too many differences in those parts of the source code between SQLTools 1.5 and SQLTools++.

Once that is done I may be dealing the default Object List population next, but I don't know yet. The parallel installation stuff is definitely a low priority issue as of now.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Regards,
      Randolf

• Thank you Randolf for your post.
      I'll check this features in ++.

Regards,
      Alexandre Tarquino