feature suggestion: compare until today

Eike
2011-03-30
2013-05-01
  • Eike
    Eike
    2011-03-30

Hi Stefan and others,

I just thought about the following small feature: In order to compare the training volume of the current year with previous years, it would be nice to have a new plotting mode that looks like the 'last ten years' mode, but only includes exercises until today's date in each year (for example 01/01/20xx-03/30/20xx).

A bonus feature would be to make the start and the end date configurable, i.e. to let the user choose the time period for which the training volume should be compared with previous years. For example, some endurance athletes such as cyclists begin their season preparation in November, so it would be useful to compare the training volumes starting from November 1st instead of January 1st.

What do you think? Any comments?

As always, thanks a lot for your great work on Sportstracker,

Eike

• jede28
    jede28
    2011-03-30

Hi Eike,

good idea, I've also missed such a feature multiple times.
    But wouldn't it make more sense to display the selected graph (e.g. distance or time) for the selected year and the current year? Or better: The user could select 2 years for comparision and the graph is displayed for both years in different colors? So the user could compare any seasons.

We need to take a closer look at this "wish" and see how it can be integrated with the current overview graph modes.

Bye, Stefan

• Eike
    Eike
    2011-03-31

Hi Stefan,

The user could select 2 years for comparision and the graph is displayed for both years in different colors? So the user could compare any seasons.

Yes, that indeed sounds like a more natural approach. Something like this could be integrated both in the 'all months of year' and 'all weeks of year' graphs. For example, one could add a second spin button/selector in the top right to select the year to compare to (defaulting to None).

In addition, one could add a 'beginning of year until today' checkbox to the top right of the '10 years until' graph, which would give the behaviour I suggested initially.

Comparing different seasons (as opposed to years) would probably be more difficult to integrate. Maybe a separate graph/dialog would make more sense for that… Actually, adding the comparison feature discussed above to the 'last 12 months graph' would yield something equivalent at least for the current year…

By the way, instead of using different colors, one could also use dashed lines for one of the seasons.

Cheers,

Eike

• jede28
    jede28
    2011-04-02

Hi Eike,

I think a good and easy to use compromise would be the following solution:

The Overview diagram will get a new diagram option in the selection combobox called "Compare two seasons".
    When the user selects it then he will get inputs for:

- year 1 (default: current year)
    - year 2 (default: previois year)
    - season start month  (default: January)

It will display all the monthy data of year 1 on the left (line graph) and year 2 on the right vertical axis (dashed graph).
    So the user can compare all the statistic data and can select custom months for the season start.
    I don't think we need a comparision mode on weekly basis.

How so you think about?

Bye, Stefan

• Eike
    Eike
    2011-04-02

Hi Stefan,

The Overview diagram will get a new diagram option in the selection combobox called "Compare two seasons".
    When the user selects it then he will get inputs for:

- year 1 (default: current year)
    - year 2 (default: previois year)
    - season start month  (default: January)

It will display all the monthy data of year 1 on the left (line graph) and year 2 on the right vertical axis (dashed graph).
    So the user can compare all the statistic data and can select custom months for the season start.
    I don't think we need a comparision mode on weekly basis.

Sound great! This way, the existing diagrams don't get too cluttered and the season comparison feature is easily accessible. I'd be perfectly happy with this solution.

Thanks for you efforts,

Eike

• jede28
    jede28
    2011-04-02

I'll add it to the ToDo list. We'll see when there will be enough time to realize it. Or someone else will start on this topic…

Bye, Stefan