Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Interval Pace

Jon
2008-04-01
2014-03-05
  • Jon
    Jon
    2008-04-01

Stefan,

I just started using SportsTracker and think it's great, just what I have been looking for.  I do have a question.  I'd like to track my interval pace separately from the run pace.  For instance, today I did a 1 mile warm up, followed by 4 400m intervals with a 400m rest between each, and finally a cool down.  I've got an overall distance and time for the whole run, plus my interval pace from the 400's.  I'd like to keep a history of my intervals pace so that I can track progess.  Is there anyway to do that?

Also, one suggestion I have would be to have a way to fill all of the fields in new exercise based on the last sport type selected.  For example, when I pick running I'd like my current pair of shoes to be automaticaly selected, when I pick biking I'd like my bike selected.

Thanks,
    Jon

• jede28
      jede28
      2008-04-01

Hi Jon,

at the moment there's no special functionality for interval evaluation (and there will not be in the near future). All you can do is: use the intensity "interval" to mark such exercises. Then you can set a filter to only view these exercises or for statistic computation. The comparision must be done manually, e.g. display PolarViewer views side by side of multiple exercises.

Your idea for selection of sport type, subtype, equipment and so on is very nice, it should always use the latest available exercises as a reference. Could you please create a feature request for it?

Bye,
      Stefan

• Jon
      Jon
      2008-04-02

Thanks Stefan,

I'll add my sugestion for selection as a feature request.

Regarding my question about a place to store interval pace, how about if I was to add that feature?  Would this be something you would want to fold back into the code?

Jon

• jede28
        jede28
        2008-04-02

Hi Jon,

we should discuss first what this feature would contain. If it's complex and very special for needs of a small number of users then I would not like to include it. One of my major goals is usage simplicity.

Bye,
        Stefan

• Jon
          Jon
          2008-04-03

I'm with you on usage simplicity, that's one of the things I like about SportsTracker.
            I'm thinking this would be a single entry to the XML, maybe called "interval-avg-speed". 

Here are a couple of ideas for the UI.  Probably the easiest would be to add it to the optional tab.  It could also be added to the Main tab, maybe only showing or enabled when "interval" was picked from the intensity drop down. 

Another idea would be to add the ability to define your own optional tags.  This would let the user add optional data they wanted to track with each run.  I think that's probably overkill, but would allow users to add things like recording the air temp, wind speed, and anything else they might care about.  The UI is obviously much more complicated and there are a lot of issues to think through in an implementation like this.

Jon

• jede28
            jede28
            2008-04-03

What do you mean by the single entry called "interval-avg-speed" - what does it stands for?

• Jon
              Jon
              2008-04-03

interval-avg-speed would be the xml element we would need to add to the exercise.  This is the avg pace of the interval itself. 

So in my original example of the 1 mile warm up, 4 x 400m intervals with 400m rest, and a cool down.  My overall distance was 3.5 miles with a pace of around 7:30, which is recorded by the software as it currently is.  I want to record the average pace of each of the 400's which was considerably faster.  That's what interval-avg-speed would hold.

Jon

• jede28
                jede28
                2008-04-04

OK, now I've got it. But I must say, it's very special, only for interval exercises. And most of the users will not understand it when they see it in the GUI.
                I would recommend you a pragmatic approach: add the average interval pace to the comment text. Then you can set a filter in the list view for showing interval exercises only. In the comment column you see all the values and compare them easily. It's not perfect, but maybe sufficient for now...

Bye,
                Stefan

• Thanks, I've been doing your suggestion of adding the interval pace the to comment and that seems to work well enough.  Not perfect, but sufficient.  Thanks for the idea and SportsTracker!

Jon

• Harry Prevor
    Harry Prevor
    2014-03-05

I'd like to bring this topic back up again. As a runner, I do interval work several times every week, and intervals are a very common form of training for many sports.

Currently, users are forced to put in useless data for interval work: The average speed usually means nothing because the warmup and cooldown are so much slower than the actual intervals.

It would be very good if at least some of Jon's ideas were implemented in SportsTracker so users could track intervals just as well as they can already track other athletic work. The extra fields would only have to appear on the GUI once the intensity "Interval" is selected so it does not confuse new users.

• jede28
    jede28
    2014-03-05

Hi Harry,

I undestand your proposal. But there seems not to be enough demand for this feature or willing developers who implement an appropriate patch,

Most users are using heartrate monitors with recording, so they can view and analyze the recorded interval data inside the ExerciseViewer. And there's the workaround by using the comment section.

Bye, Stefan