EA Active 2 HRM with Accelerometers

2011-04-14
2014-06-17
  • David Sterry
    David Sterry
    2011-04-14

Hello,

I just purchased an EA Active 2 for the Wii and it uses green LEDs on the armband to measure heart rate. The device connects wirelessly to a usb dongle so I'm wondering if this has any chance of working with SportsTracker or if there's another project that might be more appropriate for this kind of peripheral.

Here's the output of its section of 'cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices'

T:  Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=04 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
    D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=21a4 ProdID=ac40 Rev= 3.00
    S:  Manufacturer=Licensed by Nintendo of America
    S:  Product=EA SPORTS Active™ (C) 2010 Electronic Arts Inc.
    S:  SerialNumber=00777194
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
    I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  16 Ivl=16ms

It's available for $40 including usb dongle, heart rate monitoring arm band with accelerometer, and a leg band with accelerometer so thought it might be a good candidate for cheap heart rate monitoring and more.

Thanks,

dsterry

• jede28
    jede28
    2011-04-14

Interesting - how would the use case look like? What's the usage scenario (combination of WII and SportsTracker)?

Bye, Stefan

• David Sterry
    David Sterry
    2011-04-15

Hello Stefan and thanks for your quick reply.

Since it's a USB interface the use cases can go wherever a USB host interface is. So at the simplest case, the heart rate monitor would connect to a computer to record/display while the user works out in their home.

The USB interface would have to be worked on to see if it  can be brought up without  a Wii but that's my scenario of choice anyway. It seems most other peripherals to to game machines have been connected to free software so hopefully this can too.

Not being one to depend on others to scratch my itch, do you have any tips on how I could go about figuring this device out?

Thanks!

• jede28
    jede28
    2011-04-15

OK, I see. There are two tasks which needs to be done:

(1) You need to write a tool (outside SportsTracker) which records the informations send by the Wii devices and store them as an exercise file (one exercise file is exactly one workout).
    This is done typically by the sport watches , but in your case it needs to be done manually.

(2) Add a parser to SportsTracker/ExerciseViewer which parses the stored exercises by task (1). That's all, SportsTracker can display the exercise infos then.

You can also use an already supported exercise format (e.g. Polar HRM) in task (1), then task (2) is not necessary.

I can't help you with your USB device questions, that's not my scope - sorry…

Hope this helps,
    Stefan

• DarkHideMoon
    DarkHideMoon
    2011-09-22

Hi dsterry,

I am also interested in conecting the EA Active 2 sensors to a computer. Did you finally managed to do any progress with that? Do you know about any library that can be used?

Thanks in advance.

DarkHideMoon

• jede28
    jede28
    2011-09-22

I don't know about any progress on this issue, maybe dsterry can give us an update.

• Anonymous
    2012-01-31

Any updates?

• wilee
    wilee
    2012-04-14

One needs to sniff the ea 2 protocall while the wii ea2 is playing on the wii.  Running an emulator for the wii last time I checked does not seem to support the usb dongle, so a real hardware usb2 sniff is needed.  Then a library can be written to allow for getting the data out of the device.

lsusb| grep 21
    Bus 004 Device 068: ID 21a4:ac40 

Example usb sniffers ,

http://www.ellisys.com/products/usbex200/buy.php

http://b.openvizsla.org/post/2666655179/openvizsla#notes

• skybinary
    skybinary
    2012-07-04

Found a great way to get live heart rate BPM from the device.

• jeremix
      jeremix
      2013-07-04

Skybinary, do you have some details on how you managed that.

Thanks.

• Peppe
    Peppe
    2014-06-17

Any news for that?