Samsung Monochrome Laser Printer ML-1665

2012-07-31
2013-05-28
  • I'm trying to get my ML-1665 laser printer to work.  But no success yet. As it is not listed in supported printer list, I don't know what I need to make it work. How to detect if this printer supports SPL1/SPL2 or SPL3? For my tests I started with the PPD for the ML-1660.
    I created a reference Postscript file and did the conversion manually to be able to understand what happens (Ghostscript-8.70, SPLIX-2.0.0):

$ gs -dQUIET -dDEBUG -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dNOMEDIAATTRS -sDEVICE=cups \
              -dcupsCompression=14 -sOUTPUTFILE=reference.raster reference.ps
    $ PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/Samsung-ml1665.ppd /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoqpdl 6768 jb foo 1 bar=foo reference.raster

The output of the "rastertoqpdl" tools I sent to the printer. It starts printing, but only an error message:

INTERNAL ERROR - Please use the proper driver.
      POSITION: 0x0 (0)
      SYSTEM: h6fw_5.37_01/x1_op
      LINE: 171
      VERSION: SPL 5.37.01 10-05-2010

Does it help to know what kind of SPL this printer supports? Or is there a different cause for this error message like some missing configuration/parameter in the conversion filter chain?

BTW: I have to add "-dcupsCompression=" to the ghostscript converter, to make SPLIX happy. Is is intended? Without this parameter SPLIX complains about an unknown compression.

• Answer to myself:

- using the current SPLIX svn trunk (Revision: 307)
    - *and* enabling JBIG

will make the ML-1665 Laser Printer work with SPLIX (with the ml1660.ppd from the repository).