Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Xerox Phaser 3140

Anthony
2011-07-18
2013-05-28
  • Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-18

Has anyone managed to get it working?

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-18

My progress so far:

If I use phaser 3150 ppd (ph3150.ppd), then instead of printing test page the printer prints:

INTERNAL ERROR - Please use the proper driver.
      POSITION: 0x0 (0)
      SYSTEM: h6fw_5.35/x1_op
      LINE: 167
      VERSION: SPL 5.35 06-03-2009

Next step should be comparing output from proprietary rastertosamsungspl filter with rastertoqpdl output.
    Running them by hand should be identical:

export PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/correct.ppd
    /usr/lib/cups/filter/filter_name 1 user '' 1 '' < example.ps > example_filer_name.out

Samsung filer runs file, but splix complains that it:

DEBUG: SpliX SpliX filter V. 2.0.0 by Aurélien Croc (AP²C)
    DEBUG: SpliX More information at: http://splix.ap2c.org
    DEBUG: SpliX Compiled with: Threads=enabled (#=2, Cache=30), JBIG=disabled, BlackOptim=enabled
    DEBUG: SpliX Monochrome printer Xerox Phaser 3150 with QPDL v. 1
    ERROR: SpliX Cannot open job

which comes from Document::load (document.cpp) from invocation of cupsRasterOpen(). Can not understand why it fails.

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-18

Ok, 'raster' is a CUPS special intermediate format, rasterto* scripts are not supposed to understand anything else (although proprietary rastertosamsungspl does).
    Anyway, pstoqpdl should be used (depends on pstoraster, which is called gstoraster these days - just make a symlink).

Now i get qpdl file with header only and

ERROR: SpliX Compression algorithm 0x0 does not exist

from pstoqpdl. I guess debian version was built without JBIG..

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-18

Ok, I've built latest svn revision (297) with jbig, but it still complains about missing compression algorithm.
    (JBIG compression has code 0x13 in the sources).

How should I disable compression? My source postscript file is very simple, it is 540 bytes long..

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-19

some numbers: input file length is 540 bytes; splix processing with 0x11 compression algorithm gives 7616 bytes of output; with jbig (0x13) compression - 3659 bytes; 22776 bytes with 0x0e compression
    proprietary rastertosamsungspl gives 118922 bytes - and it has 0x0e in band header at offset 0x6 (marked as compression version(?) in SPL specs);

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-19

Arrgh, update the first post: xerox phaser 3140 works with .ppd from samsung ml-1910. No change to .ppd is required.

• Till Kamppeter
    Till Kamppeter
    2011-07-20

I have now added explicit support for the Phaser 3140 to the SVN repository of SpliX, assuming that the printer is compatible to the ML-1910. Please test.

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-21

Built and installed svn rev 298, installed ph3140.ppd from it. Cups test page prints successfully. Printed several other documents. Left margin is zero or negative (text starts from the edge of the sheet), but I'm not sure if this is a software issue.
    In general everything seems ok to me.

Is there any specific thing I should print to test it in full?

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-07-21

Also, judging by the fact, that the proprietary .ppd is marked as 'for 3140 and 3155', Xerox phaser 3155 should also work with ml1910/ph3140 ppd. Of course I don't have 3155 and haven't tested it. (This is just for those who will google up this page with 'splix xerox phaser 3155' request =))

• Till Kamppeter
    Till Kamppeter
    2011-07-21

Thank you very much, I will add the 3155.

And thank you for the testing. What you have done is OK, no special testing is needed.

• Till Kamppeter
    Till Kamppeter
    2011-07-21

Support for the Phaser 3155 is uploaded now, SVN rev. 299.

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-10-04

Well, it seems that 3140 support is not perfect after all. Sometimes a print job gets out of the cups queue successfully, but printer prints nothing. Switching printer off and on fixes it temporary (freshly switched printer always prints at least one page).
    This looks like a problem with wrong job termination in SPL. I don't understand why this happens only sometimes, however.

Any suggestions on where I should start investigating?

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-10-04

Quick comparison of splix and proprietary driver outputs shows that at least JCL markers (BeginPJL/EndPJL) are the same. Is there any debug utility to dump/view qpdl in a nice way?

• Aurélien Croc
    Aurélien Croc
    2011-10-04

You'll find a dedicated tool for that purpose in the tools/ directory. It is called decompress and have different options. Try the "-help" option to get more information. It does not contains all the compression algorithms that SpliX supports but can give you some hints about what happen.. I'll try to have more time to check your problem but I can't promiss you. Good luck ;)
    Cheers,

Aurélien

• Anthony
    Anthony
    2011-10-04

Thank you!

Experiments show that behavior differs on different architectures:
    everything seems to be ok on x86 machine: test pages get printed successfully (I've tried 10 test pages with no delay between).
    arm machine: page is printed if the printer was switched on just before printing or there was a significant delay (at least several minutes) between current job and previous one. If another test page goes to printer with almost no delay (after several seconds needed to click 'print test page' in cups =)) it is not printed.
    Sometimes job is not printed even after delay. Printer blinks the led and warms up, but prints nothing.

Still trying to figure out what could it be.

Btw, does anyone know a way to reboot printer via usb? =)