Upload / installation

2012-03-18
2013-06-03
  • vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-03-18

Dear all,
    I used to be a fan of this blog tool, I used it for a while many years ago …
    Now I am trying again, despite the website and the original forum being down …
    I have download from here the latest version, unzipped and upload in my newly created directory … After the FTP process is finished I suppose to simply type the mydomain/blogfolder/ and I suppose to be guided through the installation …
    I have tried many time but the page doesn't show up, redirect me to a search engine cause seems the address is not existent …
    I thought the download could be corrupted and I repeated 3 times, I deleted the new folder and created again …
    Every time no success …
    Anyone had the same experience? It is me or it is something with the software ?
    Many thanks
    Vito

• vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-03-18

Error 500 internal sever error
    This is last time error …..

• vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-03-19

How about folders writing / reading permission.?
    Do I need to chmod some folder before trying /install000.php in the browser address bar ?

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2012-03-19

You will need to get more details on the 500 error from your server logs.  Likely something on the server side is not setup correctly.  You will need to have certain folders writable but the install pages will walk you through that.

• vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-03-19

thanks for your reply …
    if i create a new directory, by default it has permission 755 … i suppose it is OK and as you said the install script should guide through …
    i used to use the script  since my first blog on 2005, same server (of course the hosting company has update the PHP version etc.) …
    i keep downloading because i tempted to think the download file maybe corrupted and that's why i am having troubles …

• vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-03-19

everyday i am spending few hours on it …
    i suspect some file must be corrupted …
    it finally happen to let me in the install.php … i went through smoothly
    see for example http://http://www.donatiello.info/arianna (this is the clean installation), if you click on "home" the resultant address in the browser bar is wrong and it returns a error … same thing happens if i login, eveytime i click on the side navigation link it adds the folder name twice in the address bar …
    thanks for your contribution
    Vito

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2012-03-20

It sounds like you may need to set the BASEURL value manually.  In this case, you need to set BASEURL correctly in scripts/config.php.  Update this line:

define('BASEURL', '/arianna/');

• vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-03-25

thanks for your kind help …

this is how my scripts/config.php looks like:

// You need to set this manually if you are using symlinks, sorry, this is a PHP limitation
        // we will assume this is a directory off of your root
        if ($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'] == realpath($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'])) {
            define('BASEURL', preg_replace("/^" . str_replace("/", "\/", $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]) . "/", "", ROOT_DIR));
        } else {
            define('BASEURL', '/' . basename(dirname(dirname(__file__))) . '/');
        }

1) what is symlinks -  PHP limitation ? how do i double check if my hostting webserver  has this function on?

2) this is the way i changed, is that right?

} else {
        //  define('BASEURL', '/' . basename(dirname(dirname(__file__))) . '/');
                    define('BASEURL', '/arianna/');
        }

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2012-03-26

1) Symlinks is a server function.  That is what the first "if" statement checks for.  The normal case (no symlinks) is handled inside that block.  I'd recommend throwing in a print statement and see if it comes out.  The symlinks case is handed inside the "else" part.
    2) Yes that looks correct (assuming the problem is symlinks).

• vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-03-26

thanks for your answer nabber00

1) how can i check if my server implement symlinks function?

2) the code i have updated/uploaded is not fixing the problem … see at http://www.donatiello.info/arianna, if you click the first 2 links on the left side bar "Contact" and "Stats" you will get the usual error …

many thanks

Vito

• Anonymous
    2012-04-13

Same here.
    I used an older version for some time in the past.
    Some time ago, I downloaded  the sphpblog-0.7.0.zip file from here and  tried to install the blog via  XAMPP version 1.7.4 ( localhost ) and nothing happens.
    So I downloaded an older version ( sphpblog_0511 ) from somewhere else and everything is running just fine.

There must be a flaw somewhere …
    Cheers

• vdonatiello
    vdonatiello
    2012-04-13

u have the same problem make me feel less stupid … but still sorry for the great software … i have been used it for many years without upgrade it … now i started a new project and i thought i should move on …
    pity for the inconvenience and lose of time …
    nabber00 is doing a great job but he is alone to keep it alive …
    very sorry to say, after many years i felt i needed give some loyalty …
    but i had to move on and for the new project i have switched to another flat file blog software …
    very sorry for betraying

• nabber00
    nabber00
    2012-04-13

I'm working on a new release that should hopefully resolve some of these issues.

• Anonymous
    2012-04-13

What still fascinates me about this software is the fact, that in between  and  you can use any HTML-tag, CSS-Code and even JavaScript to make your entries look sharp !  :-p
    I prefered the classic & modern themes which adapted - after some minor CSS alterations - to the screen width dynamically.
    It's still a great software
    :-p