Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Please Drop Requirement for KDE Libraries

tpreitzel
2010-02-18
2013-01-13
  • tpreitzel
    tpreitzel
    2010-02-18

Many formerly KDE-centric pieces of software, e.g. Rosegarden, are eliminating the requirement for KDE libraries just as many GNOME-centric pieces of software are doing similarly by simply using GTK. Please, move Simon to a QT only application without requiring KDE libraries. Many, many more people will use it if so. Unfortunately, the state of speech recognition on Linux is currently horrendous due to IBM's waffling over the years with ViaVoice. THANKS!

• Peter Grasch
    Peter Grasch
    2010-02-18

I am sorry but I can't do that.

And really if I could, I wouldn't want to. Programming with the KDE libraries is fantastic and it really makes a lot of difference. simon 0.1 was a Qt only application and we decided to switch to KDE to make simon more stable, more mature and generally speed up the development.

When developing an application as big as simon with as little manpower as … well the simon for example … the selection of the right tools is critical. KDE has proved to be even more feature rich, reliable and portable than we thought it might be when we decided to make simon a KDE application. Going back now would through the development back months and the end result still wouldn't be as good as what we have now.

If you don't believe me, have a look at the Qt only simon 0.1. It was rubbish :)

What is your problem with the KDE libraries?