cmake/FindQwt6.cmake; recent version

2011-08-04
2013-01-13
  • Perhaps the above mentioned file should be updatet to the recent version of qwt, which is by now 6.0.1.
    Maybe the check against the right version could be done somewhat less strict, or are there major reasons to check against all three digits?

Best regards
    Thomas

• Peter Grasch
    Peter Grasch
    2011-08-07

Good idea. Do I smell a patch? :P

Best regards,
    Peter

• Well,
    will do that somewhen within the next days.

So far I dig into the sources and will set up a dev-env on a win-machine to have the possibility to test compilation on that system either.

Best regards
    Thomas

• Peter Grasch
    Peter Grasch
    2011-08-08

Great!

About the windows development environment: Brave… To be honest, building on windows might be a little bit tough right now as I personally haven't compiled simon there for a while. Good luck!

Best regards,
    Peter

• Hello Peter,

I've always been known for punishing myself by doing some odd things :-)
    So the compile on win should be the perfect thing for doing that (esp. as I'm using only *nix systems for work here) …

The patch concerning qwt seems a bit tricky.
    I think, that can't be done by cmake itself, would you mention, if I put that one in the build.sh (resp. the build_ubuntu.sh)?
    I'm just thinking about a simple linux-bash-hack, that would create a symlink to any installed qwt with version >= "given majorrelease" or so, so that one wouldn't have to edit FindQwt.cmake everytime qwt rolls out sth.

But that's just a first approach, will have to dig a bit further into the possibilities of cmake, as I haven't used it that much till now.

Best regards
    Thomas

• Peter Grasch
    Peter Grasch
    2011-08-09

Hi!

I actually talked with someone responsible for the KDE build scripts (Alexander Neundorf, cmake expert) and he had a couple of suggestions on the simon build system. Patrick Spendrin has also started to work on simon on Windows: http://saroengels.blogspot.com/2011/08/desktop-summit-midtime-summary.html

cmake can definitely do the kind of version checking we need. Alex pointed us to the file(GLOB …) command (look at the cmake manpage) to find the folder. Foldernames seem to be constructed with the same scheme but there is an exception for svn versions which uses the folder /usr/local/qwt-svn/ or something similar IIRC.

According to Alex the version check looked alright in principle so it should be a bug somewhere. Try running cmake with the switches -trace or -debug-output.
    (He also recommended to write a simple CMakeLists.txt to test on in order to not need to configure the whole of simon every time).

Alex also pointed us to FindPackageHandleStandardArgs in order to convey the required verison number from the CMakeLists in simon (program) to the FindQwt6 module (potentially a system file used by multiple projects with varying requirements).

I hope this helps :)

Best regards,
    Peter

• Hi Peter,

so I think GLOB_RECURSE will do our job.
    I will have a look at that later, because actually I'm a bit in a hurry.

Thanks for advice
    Thomas