Linechart problem

Tom
2009-01-26
2013-04-15
  • Tom
    Tom
    2009-01-26

Nixnut...this is a follow up post as requested.

I am using version 3.2.3c for XL2003.  I am trying to have two set of data plotted on the same graph.
    Both sets of data consists of 12 months; The first six months is past data and the next 6mos are projected data.
    The idea is that a single graph would show a 12mo period consisting of actual past values and projected future values and would appear as a single line (for the most part).

Example points
    Points1: ; ; ; ; ; ;275,735;247,333;133,491;12,932;78,391;71,691;57,791
    Points2 165,334;137,416;(132,302);(33,911);(428,726);347,855; ; ; ; ; ;                         

The problem I am having is when the data is updated the graph for this particular linechart is not being deleted and redrawn.  However a new graph is being drawn over the old.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Tom

• nixnut
      nixnut
      2009-01-26

Hi Tom,

Sorry, it seems I can't reproduce this. The linechart updates correctly here with changing data. Can you send me your worksheet?

regards,
      nixnut

• Tom
      Tom
      2009-01-27

Nixnut,

I think I see the problem...

I you look at my data, the  first and last 6mos for points 1 and 2 respectively are zero.
      What I have been doing is not entering any data for the zero points (ie null).
      When I enter the data with zeros it appears to work (not draw the graphs multiple times).

However, I would like not to see the zero or null data on the graph.. so that points 1 (first 6mo) starts the graph and points 2 (last 6mo) finish it.  It would basically look like a single graph with the exception that each half would be different colors.

Let me now what you think.

I could send an xls file to you...let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

• nixnut
        nixnut
        2009-01-27

I didn't use zero's for the missing values, but left them empty. So I doubt that is the problem. If you can send me the .xls I'll have a look at it to see if I can find out what's happening.

• Tom
      Tom
      2009-01-27

Where should I send to?

sparklines.excel@gmail.com

Tom

• nixnut
        nixnut
        2009-01-27

to my sourceforge email address please

• Tom
      Tom
      2009-01-27

Nixnut...I sent the file...let me know if you do not receive it.

• nixnut
        nixnut
        2009-01-28

Tom,

I've received your file. I found something that may have been the problem. It looks like an empty value is used as a zero in the code. This zero is then the minimum for the range. In your examples all other values in points1 are larger than zero. Then the image is created where the real minimum of points1 is positioned on the bottom of the cell. But the image is taller than the cell height because of the fake zero. So the image no longer fits within the cell and therefore isn't removed when you update the formula by adding points2. I'm not totally sure this is what actually  happens, but I've changed the code a bit to deal with this scenario. Please try this version and let me know if it works better: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sparklinesforxl/Sparklines-xl2003-3.2.3d.zip

• Tom
      Tom
      2009-01-28

Nixnut,

I tried it quick and it appears to be working...thank you!

I will be working with it later tonight so if there are any issues I will let you know.

On a quick side note...Is there a tutorial on how to use the vertical scales.
      I tried using them but could not get them to work.

All the best,

Tom

• nixnut
        nixnut
        2009-01-29

Great. Looks like we solved that problem then.

Vertical scalelines... uhm, I'm afraid some code got mixed up between the xl2000 and xl2003 versions. The menu/toolbar tries to call the function with the wrong name. Guess I'll have to fix that. For now try manually entering the formulas  VScaleLineLeft and VScaleLineRight.