Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Threshold suggestions

Fabio
2013-09-25
2013-09-25
  • Fabio
    Fabio
    2013-09-25

Hi Robert,

Great work! This project might save mine.

Usualy fingerprint frameworks have some kind security levels, like low, below normal, normal, above normal, high and max. These options are used in the matching system to determinate how much accurate your matching needs to be. In SourceAFIS is equal to Threshold. But i have dificult to determinate equivalent values for these options in SourceAFIS.

Do you have any suggestions of Threshold for these kinds of security level?

Low - ?
    Normal - ?
    High - ?

Thanks,
    Fabio

• Robert Važan
    Robert Važan
    2013-09-25

I'm quite surprised to hear about these levels. The point is that there is very little reason to run fingerprint recognition software on any level other than max. These levels correspond to FAR (false accept rate) and you want FAR to be next to zero, i.e. you want the threshold as high as possible. It's a natural property of SourceAFIS that you can achieve extremely low FAR below 0.01% with negligible impact on FRR (false reject rate), which stays more-or-less the same unless you drive the threshold extremely high. As for setting the correct threshold, start with the default and adjust it when testing with your sensor & population shows that you get too high FAR or FRR.

BTW, the "security" setting on your fingerprint framework has nothing to do with real security. It's easy to create fake fingerprints that match even with "max" security setting. You have to monitor the scanning process to prevent fraud. Alternatively you can get an advanced sensor that detects fake fingerprints on hardware level.