2013-05-23
  • first last
    first last
    2010-12-17

root@debian:~/devel/snoopy/snoopy-1.7.9# make enable
    ./enable.sh /usr/local/lib
    [: 14: x/usr/local/lib: unexpected operator
    [: 41: 0: unexpected operator
    Snoopy already enabled in /etc/ld.so.preload. Check syslog messages for output.

It doesn't work :(

• This looks like an installer problem. Which shell is your default?

Quick fix: try adding "/usr/local/lib/snoopy.so" to /etc/ld.so.preload manually.

b.

• bolt
    bolt
    2010-12-24

apparently debian squeeze doesn't have ld.so anymore
    the package "snoopy" used to be in lenny, but in squeeze it has been removed
    it is also gone from ubuntu

damn. i loved snoopy. please make it come back.

• That's not my call actually :/

• bolt
    bolt
    2010-12-24

Is there anything other than ld which can be used? Something that's still in there?

• LD is most certainly there, I believe. Just create the /etc/ld.so.preload file manually.

• Anonymous
    2011-03-16

I ran into the same problem. Any update?

• Not update yet, I don't have any installed debian squeeze at my disposal ATM. Can someone provide an access to a working (test!) install of debian squeeze for me?

Thanks,
    b.

• Anonymous
    2011-05-31

There are two errors in your enable.sh script in snoopy 1.8.0, lines 14 and 41.

You are using == to compare values in your tests, ie:
    "if ;"

"==", if I recall sh scripting, assigns values. According to the debian dash documentation, you would want:

"if ;"
    and
    if ;

• bolt
    bolt
    2011-05-31

No, == compares and = is an assignment. Just like in C :)

• bolt
    bolt
    2011-05-31

Sorry I didn't see this sooner btw. I'll stuff an install of Debian Squeeze on a VM this weekend.

• Please do report back success or failure. Thanks,

b.

• Zed Pobre
    Zed Pobre
    2011-06-17

Just so anyone looking here knows, a new package of Snoopy is available in the Debian Unstable tree (should hit Wheezy in the coming week).  It was built on a Squeeze system, however, and will work just fine there (I'm the new Debian maintainer).

• That is great news indeed!

BTW: Can you explain these "rumors" about debian not using ld any longer? If this is true, what is used instead for dynamic loading?

Tnx,
    b.

• Zed Pobre
    Zed Pobre
    2011-06-20

Debian still uses ld.  /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/ld.so.preload still work as expected.  What disappeared was the ld.so.preload-manager package that was being used to manage /etc/ld.so.preload, so now packages have to do their own work in the preinst/postrm scripts.

• Zed Pobre
    Zed Pobre
    2011-06-24

Minor update: although I built the amd64 binary on a Squeeze system myself, the i386 version was autobuilt on a machine with the libc6 from Wheezy.  Other architectures may have a similar issue.  You can build your own version by pulling down the source package and doing a "debian/rules binary", however.