9 Second Project Introduction

Brand
2004-02-24
2004-03-03
  • Many experts say that you have only about 9 seconds to capture someone's interest when they ask what you are doing. With that in mind it is important for us to be able to dazzle people with our introduction.

Here was my first attempt:

Starting a software company dedicated to making Java and Open Source software development simple. Using extreme methods we will make and market our products for a collaborative user base. By opening our products and processes we will be able to build empowering relationships with key communities.

It's nice, but I don't think it smashes expectations and commands attention.

• Taking something out from free air and making it into a workable marketable appication is tantamount to landing a vehicle in Mars and taking her for a ride. Yep! It will happen. Making money while helping to lower the connection costs for the world is the best and most noble use of free air space.
      Ed

• Pfft! Your ability to ignore the truth is laughable, Ed.

Take this thing called Red Hat Linux or FreeBSD, for example. I first bought Red Hat Linux 1-something in 1995, for like  US. I also bought a  CD of Slackware from Walnut Creek around that time. I've been a user of Linux ever since.

In the years since, I sometimes had the bandwidth to download a new release. Sometimes I copied the CDs from a friend which had bought the latest version. This past year I bought a SuSE 9.0 Professional and it was my turn to pass the CDs around.

Red Hat and Novell (the new owner of SuSE) are multi-million dollar companies. It seems to me they have been very capable of landing that proverbial Mars vehicle and taking it for a ride. And they've been doing it for very close to 10 years now (Red Hat was established in 1995).

Ed, many people in the software industry choose to stick their head in the sand so they don't see what they don't understand. Meanwhile, they forget that with their head in the sand, they can't see the monopolies that are fucking them up the ASS!

Go on believing commercial software is best, we'll go on making marketable applications out of free air.

• For many it is difficult to get past the shock of hearing about a software company that makes it's software products available for free via an open source license. And historically, open source and free software have not been products to build a business upon, however, times are changing. We believe so, and the following news items support our belief.

Evidence for Open Source as a viable product:

JBoss, Inc. closes oversubscribed  million round of Venture Financing, with Matrix Partners and Accel. February 19, 2004.http://www.jboss.org/services/press/financing.pdf

Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux Technology Company SUSE LINUX (Novell will pay 0 million in cash to complete the acquisition)
        http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html

Novell Acquires Ximian to Expand Linux Solutions and Open Source Commitment
        http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/08/pr03051.html

Growth in Enterprise Subscription Volumes Accelerates to 33,000 New Subscriptions, Drives 40% Sequential Growth in Deferred Revenue
        http://investors.redhat.com/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=RHAT&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=479333

• PJ Cabrera
          PJ Cabrera
          2004-03-03

More Open Source Success Stories

"The College of Business at the California State University in Chico selected SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server to maintain its widespread hosting services. Today the school not only hosts SAP and SUSE for their students, they host similar installations for 13 other universities around the world, and they are the front-line tech support center for all 120 SAP charter business schools in North America.

"In the fall of 1995, the school replaced a mixture of small, individual application packages with SAP. 'As our hosting capabilities grew, our systems aged,' said Gino Edinger, manager of Chico's SAP Help Center. 'That's when we looked at Linux, and at SUSE.' The team at Chico was immediately impressed with SUSE. 'The graphical interface in SUSE is wonderful,' said Edinger. 'Out of the box, SUSE was easy to handle and loaded very well compared to some of the other Linux products...'"

For the complete story, follow this link:

http://www.linuxlookup.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1744&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

• PJ Cabrera
      PJ Cabrera
      2004-02-25

Oh, sorry Ed, I forgot I wasn't logged on.

Your's truly,

PJ Cabrera

PS - I believe we chose free-thinking and irreverent as part of the project team brand. Say hi to irreverent, Ed.

• PJ Cabrera
      PJ Cabrera
      2004-02-25

I wrote:
      > Take this thing called Red Hat Linux or FreeBSD, for example. I first bought
      > Red Hat Linux 1-something in 1995, for like US. I also bought a CD of
      > Slackware from Walnut Creek around that time. I've been a user of Linux
      > ever since.

That should read:

Take this thing called Red Hat Linux or FreeBSD, for example. I first bought Red Hat Linux 1-something in 1995, for like thirty dollars US. I also bought a five dollar CD of FreeBSD from Walnut Creek around that time. I've been a user of both Linux and BSD ever since.

I know, I know... I should get more sleep. :-)