Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Install location and client install issue

Help
2008-03-16
2013-05-23
  • Bill Bradley
    Bill Bradley
    2008-03-16

This is a fantastic product, but, I have a question on WHERE to install it?

Should I install it on my Primary Site Server (SMS 2003 SP3) or, can it be installed on my XP SP2 Desktop?

I have it installed on my server, now, but, in trying to install the SMS client on workstations that don't have it, it seems to be having problems finding the files (either Client.MSI or CCMSetup.exe).

Also, is there a way to configure the site and cachesize settings, so that they come up with what I need, all the time?

Thanks!

Bill

• Roger
      Roger
      2008-03-17

Hi Bill

You can install it on your XP Client. If you have the SMS or SCCM Console installed, it will create the Console extensions automatically to run the tool from the SMS/SCCM Admin Console.

To remote install a Client, you have to specify the Path of CCMSetup.exe on your SMS Server like : "\\<SMSServer>\SMSClient\i386\ccmsetup.exe". The client will start ccmsetup.exe from the defined path.

The default settings for cachesize and sitecode can be defined in smsclictr.exe.config, section "CCMInstallationProperties": SMSSITECODE=AUTO SMSCACHESIZE=3072

If you want to hardcode the path of ccmsetup.exe, you can specify it in smsclictr.exe.config section "CCMCommand".

Regards

Roger

• nicolas lecocq
        nicolas lecocq
        2009-05-18

Hi

I tryed a WMI repair and it worked. But I still ahve the problem with the client remote installation.

Here is part of the code:
                            CCMSetup.ConnectIPC(ccmcli)
                            Dim CCM As New CCMSetup(ccmcli)
                            Try
                                CCM.SMSSetup(Instpath, ClientInstallDialog.tb_params.Text)
                            Catch ex As Exception
                            End Try

• Donagh Walsh
      Donagh Walsh
      2008-11-04

Ever had issues where you were unable to remote install an SMS client. E.g. the "unable to create Service...!" message?

• nicolas lecocq
      nicolas lecocq
      2009-05-15

Hi,

Really great job.
      I use the dll into vb.net program and I am also facing a strange behaviour when trying to install SMS Client remotly. In fact I have the same error message "unable to create Service...!"

Any idea?

Thank you for help
      Nicolas

• Roger
      Roger
      2009-05-15

Does the System account (the Computer Object) of the remote computer has permission to access ccmsetup.exe ?

With ClientCenterV2 and SMS2003, you should also add "/runservice" to the ccmsetup parameters...

Are you able to force a WMIRepair on remote clients ? This action does also create a Service on the remote Machine....

Regards

Roger

• Roger
      Roger
      2009-05-19

The computer object of the remote computer requires read permission on the path you have specified (Instpath).
      The Account running the code requires local Admin rights on the remote system. Are you connecting the remote client by using integrated authentication or do you have a didictaed Username and Password ?
      Ist there already a ccmsetup service registered on the remote client ?
      Is there a ccmsetup.exe process running already running?
      Can you please post the parameters you are using...

Regards

Roger