Well, judging by the screenshots, Smoz looks really promising. However, I have not been able to start it at all. It just starts and exits(I have disabled error reporting). However, when starting it with "dependency walker" it shows that smoz looks for several files in the wrong place. For example it wants shell32.dll in the smoz directory! This certainly could be a problem with my computer, but I do not encounter any problems with other .NET 2.0 applications. I have tried repairing the .NET framework, but to no avail. If you want I could mail the dependency walker's dump file.
I am using german WinXp Pro SP2 with all updates.
Thank you for using SMOz.
To fix your problem I need more information. I've made a Debug version that can collect more information about what went wrong. you can download it at http://smoz.sourceforge.net/files/SMOz-0.6.5.0-bin-debug.zip.
Upon an error, this version will create a dump file called "Debug.x.x.x.x.txt" in the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\SMOz\". You can post the output here or email it to me (spikiermonkey at users.sourceforge.net).
Sorry about the trouble. Appreciate your feedback.
Hey thanks for replying! I really wonder if this problem could be solved. I downloaded your debug version, and it gave the following log output:
Dienstag, 20. Juni 2006 16:38:44 UTC
Der Verzeichnisname C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\Programs\ ist ungültig.
bei System.IO.FileSystemWatcher..ctor(String path, String filter)
bei System.IO.FileSystemWatcher..ctor(String path)
bei SMOz.UI.MainForm.SetupFileSystemWatchers() in C:\Documents and Settings\Nithin\Desktop\smoz\UI\MainForm.cs:Zeile 96.
bei SMOz.UI.MainForm..ctor() in C:\Documents and Settings\Nithin\Desktop\smoz\UI\MainForm.cs:Zeile 74.
bei SMOz.Program.Main() in C:\Documents and Settings\Nithin\Desktop\smoz\Program.cs:Zeile 53.
well, it's in german! In the first line below the date it says "the folder name [...] is invalid"
well, "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\Programs\" is almost correct, except for "programs", which should be "Programme" in german. So the correct path would be "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\Programme\".
Also, when starting your debug version I got an error message window "Failed to get icon index". Somehow it searches for YOUR username on my machine;)
I'll write an email to you, too, with a picture and other stuff.
thanks for your time!
You were right, the term "Programs" was hard coded in English, and was the source the failure. The assertion failure was also part of this. I changed it so that the correct path is retrieved from windows through an API call. I am having some trouble committing the changes to subversion repository, but here's an installer (http://smoz.sourceforge.net/files/SMOz-0.6.5.2-Setup.exe) with the said changes.
Hope this solves the problem. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you run into any more problems.
Thank you for your patience.
Wow! It works now. Certainly, now there are other problems, concerning localisation, as your prog can't take Umlaute (ö,ä,ü). But I feel bad posting this, I don't want you to make a program just for me! I would ask you to defer language support until some more people ask for it. I would love to see that SMOz gets more attention, there aren't so many alternatives...
Glad it works. You contribution was very valuable and don't feel bad, you have made me mindful of localization problems in all my projects and it's a great thing. Regarding localizing SMOz, it's not a lot of work to create localized versions in Visual Studio. I already moved a lot of English string literals into external resource files, the only problem is translating into other languages since I don't speak anything besides English. Also can you be specific about the problems with Umlautes, When I tried, I was able to see files with Umlautes in the name, but was unable to paste Umlaute via [Ctrl + V] when renaming files, but was able to paste via the context menu.
Well, thx for saying that! First, I dug out my old Sourceforge user name, so that you have a proper contact. I tried to register anew as silbernerwellenreiter, but somehow that didn't work.
Ok, what I tried was changing your "template.ini" so that it uses the folders I have/need. Since "Accessories" is "Zubehör" in german, I changed that(As a test, I added "*xvid" under "zubehör" in template.ini). But when starting SMOz, it showed as "Zubehr", without the "ö". While in the program, I can add "Zubehör" as a category, and it comes up correctly. But then, if I right click on the folder and "Apply template", SMOz wants to move Xvid to "Zubehr". If I press OK, Xvid is moved to Zubehr in the program, but it does not change the actual start menu entry(well that is good, isn't it?)! I save, exit SMOz, restart it, and that change is lost.
Oh my, this looks complicated, I hope you understand what I meant. Maybe it is really rather simple, is there an API Call for "Accessories"? It is a pity I don't have any idea of programming, maybe you can "just" add Unicode support?
Ah, no, I was wrong, it DOES move Xvid to "Zubehr", I just forgot to press Apply Changes beforehand...
All the stuff in 'template.ini' are hand coded, so to get the common categories or file names in German or some other language, I have to create a localized versions for each language :(. But, the 'template.ini' file that is distributed with SMOz is not very important since all the categorizations in it are based on my preferences and someone else may want to organize things in a different manner.
Although .NET programs work in Unicode mode, the 'ini' file parser in SMOz used ASCII encoding (it was the default!). I will fix this as soon as I can and may be test it on a clean system and get rid of some bugs.