More help please - Strange Samba/SMB4k issue

Stuart
2012-09-19
2012-10-07
  • Stuart
    Stuart
    2012-09-19

I am running Fedora 17 (F17) and use SMB4K and Samba to share stuff on my local Lan with Windows PCs.

When I boot up SMB4K cannot find this F17 install unless I restart nmb which is running on boot. As soon as that is done this F17 system shows up in the correct place, however I cannot then access the system to display the shares unless I go into the Samba admin app and setup the Samba users password again, note I do not change it simply retype it and save, then restart smb and all is OK I can see all the shares on this F17 system from both this system and the Windows systems on the lan and this without changing the password already saved in SMB4K.

Next time I boot this F17 PC I have to go through all this again to be able to share stuff.

Can anyone suggest why this is? For a start restarting nmb on its own is strange, then why on earth is Samba not saving the password correctly? Note I am not running the Samba 4 beta, this is the latest Samba 3.I realise his is not strictly SMB4K but I would appreciate some suggestions as to what I have wrong!

Stuart

• Stuart
    Stuart
    2012-09-20

I seem to have resolved the nmb part of the problem which looks like it may well be a Fedora problem. I am just left with Samba losing the password and it needing to be re-entered in Samba before SMB4K can access the shares.

Stuart

• Stuart
    Stuart
    2012-09-20

I now seem to have Samba remembering the user password OK but I cannot explain why using smbpasswd command to change it works and saves the password so the system works OK after a boot but using the Fedora Samba gui does not. However it does look like another Fedora gotcha!

Stuart

• I never used Fedora, so I don't know why its Samba tool does not work.

Is your problem resolved or can I give you a hand with something?

• Stuart
    Stuart
    2012-10-07

I have finally solved the problem and it was a Linux/Fedora issue. It seems that the nmb/smb daemons were starting before the network was fully up, there is a service using Network Manager called NetworkManager-wait-online which can be activated which prevents this and since doing this I have not had any problems with either the daemons failing or problems with the passwords.

Stuart