Menu

Are there any system tables?

Help
zing
2007-09-12
2013-04-22
  • zing

zing - 2007-09-12

When I create a new database and then create tables, and then connect to the database (say with SQuirrel), no system tables show up.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

zing

• Small SQL

Small SQL - 2007-09-13

Yes, this is correct. Currently there is no need for a system table. Because there are no standards for system tables that there is also no need for compatibility. All meta data can be request with the DatabaseMetaData.

Volker

• zing

zing - 2007-09-13

But it looks like SmallSQL isn't responding to squirrel requests for table information.  I can't even browse the tables I have created - I have to "remember" that they are there.

If a JDBC program were trying to 'discover' what tables existed, what call would SmallSQL respond to, say with a list of tables?

Thanks,

zing

• Small SQL

Small SQL - 2007-09-13

SmallSQL should return an empty list of system tables. Which SQuirrel version do you use and which SmallSQL version do you use?

Volker

• Small SQL

Small SQL - 2007-09-13

I have test it with SQuirrel 2.5.1 and SmallSQL 0.19 and it work without any problems. The node with the SYSTEM TABLE is empty if I want expand it.

A Java program can request it with connection.getMetaData().getTables(null,null,null,null)
          or some filter parameters.

Volker

• TomK

TomK - 2012-10-11

Because there are no standards for system tables that there is also no need for compatibility

That is not true.

The ANSI SQL standard defines the INFORMATION_SCHEMA to contain the information about the database

For a an overview see the "SQLL 99 Complete" book: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/the-information-schema/

(and btw: it's one of Codd's rules, that the metainformation of a database should be accessible with the same language as the data - SQL)

So I guess the answer to the question: "How do I retrieve the SELECT statement of a VIEW?" is: you can't

• Small SQL

Small SQL - 2012-10-11

Smallsql does not support schemas. That also INFORMATION_SCHEMA is not possible.

> So I guess the answer to the question: "How do I retrieve the SELECT statement of a VIEW?" is: you can't

This is right. You need to improve Smallsql or parse the files self.