The classic view on slashdot.org has stopped working, despite my having selected it. This led to the discovery of another bug which I will post shortly.
Same problem here, but it seems to have been fixed within the last hour.
Tested with the following Firefox versions:
- 3.6.11 on Windows 7
- 3.6.12pre on Ubuntu 10.04 amd64
- 4.0b8pre on Ubuntu 10.04 amd64
Checked my browser after mz83's comment, unfortunately it is still not working for me.
Chrome 6, Windows 7 64-bit. (Not sure browser is relevant though...)
@blakeyrat: Try to save the display settings, then log out and back in again.
I simply assumed they deployed a new version which included changes in that module within that hour and this fixed it for me.
mz83: I tried that, but alas no luck. Still not working on my account after re-saving the settings and logging out and back in.
I think I found the problem. It appears that the configuration for the Index (i.e. homepage) is *separate* from the configuration when viewing stories... I was trying to fix this by re-checking "Use Classic Index", which didn't change anything. What I should have been doing is going into the Discussions:Viewing preferences and UNchecking "Slashdot Interactive Discussion System".
So... the bug really is:
1) My setting got changed without my changing it
2) The UI here is confusing as hell
3) Saying "classic view" in bugs isn't really sufficient because there are two completely separate views, Index pages and Discussion pages. This bug should be renamed to suggest the Discussion pages were affected, not the Index pages.
Anyway, at least I can read comments again in sanity. Thanks.
I just got an email from Slashdot saying they did this *as a test!* WTF Slashdot!